co2 kit for beginners?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
I'm sure this has been asked a million times already but I'm wanting some suggestions on a co2 kit for beginners of decent quality. Maybe some pros and cons of the bargain kits vs the higher end ones. From the research I've done it looks like I would spend $100 pretty easily. The one that I saw that seemed to be a fair price with decent reviews was the Fluval co88 kit. Any opinions on this one? Thanks.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
So I've done more research and I'm now leaning towards a paintball set up since I already have several paintball co2 tanks that are just sitting in storage. I think I need the following to complete the set up but just want to make sure. Regulator preferably with electric solenoid, needle valve, check valve, bubble counter, diffuser, a converter for the paintball tank/regulator connection, and some tubing. Does that sound right? Am I missing anything? Also any suggestions on where to piece together this set up at a good price?

Spockster

AC Members
Jun 18, 2008
I have the Fluval co88 and it does work. The problem is they are only 88 gram cartridges and basically it gets expensive real quick to constantly replace those. I'm currently in the process of looking at a standard CO2 cylinder or paintball cylinder setup as well. It sounds like you've got the items identified that you would need. If you identify a good regulator (I'm leaning towards paintball size), keep us informed here. I did recently come across this company: http://greenleafaquariums.com/ which looks interesting. As with most stuff on the web, I've seen good and bad reviews with these guys.

Bottom-line; the Fluval, for me, has worked fine and I've had it a couple of years or so but the capacity is just too small for my purposes. I've got some hair algae going now (nothing horrible) and really need to pump more CO2 in for the higher level plants but don't want to blow through those small cylinders faster than I'm already doing.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
If you are going to spend the money on a paintball regulator, you might as well spend the money on one for a full size bottle. You will be constantly changing and refilling the paintball bottles, as opposed to refilling a 10 pound bottle maybe once year. The cost on a paintball regulator VS a regular is the same. Or should be.

I think you are better off spending a bit more on a higher end regulator and needle valve. I have used a few cheaper ones, and then ones from Green Leaf. GLA are definitely worth the money. This is not something to save money on IMO. Buy a quality one and you won't have to worry about it. I have never had an issue with GLA. I know several people who also have had no issues with them. I highly recommend them.http://greenleafaquariums.com/

I have also used paintball regs, and changing them out gets old. Get at least a 10 pound tank. It makes it so much easier. I don't think there really is a beginner CO2 system. They all do the same thing. It comes down to how they are constructed. Spend a bit more on a GLA. You won't be sorry.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
Thanks for the advice. I hear you on the GLA product. Do it right the first time. However, $200 just for the regulator is bit much for me.

I think I'm over the fluval too. I didn't realize how small the cartridges were. I might as well do a DIY yeast set up if I have to change stuff out that often.

I see the point of getting a regular size tank set up. My thought process is I already have paintball tanks lying around doing nothing so I could put them to use and save some money for the initial buy. Maybe I'll by a standard size regulator and get an adapter for the paintball tanks so at the very least I could still get a bigger tank down the road.

I'm just trying to get my research in before making a decision for my set up. Btw I only plan on using this on one 37 gallon tank. The GLA products are nice and clearly high quality but I think you pay extra for their adaptability, which I don't need.

I came across the Aquatek brand and have been reading good things about it. Are there better ones out there, of course. I think this suits my needs and my pocket though. Any opinions on Aquatek? They have a standard and a paintball set up that includes check valve and bubble counter for $80-$90.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
Oh and I might add I'm not opposed to buying quality parts and piecing a kit together myself to save money either. I just don't know enough about the stuff to know where to start.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Oh and I might add I'm not opposed to buying quality parts and piecing a kit together myself to save money either. I just don't know enough about the stuff to know where to start.
That's something I have thought of doing too, just never done it. The most important part, and one of the more expensive parts can be the needle valve. Don't skimp on that if you build a regulator yourself.

And if you can get an adapter, trying it out with paintball bottles is a good idea.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
So I decided to get the Aquatek premium regulator, eheim sintered glass diffuser, and I found a local fire extinguisher place that sells 5lb co2 tanks for $45 and $15 to fill. Hopefully by this weekend I'll be set up but probably not until next week.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
Any do's or dont's I should know about for my first pressurized co2 set up? In hindsight, anything you wish you would have known when you started?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I wish I had bought a GLA and a 20 pound tank from the beginning. Also wish I had known of EI dosing when I started as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store