Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Condy Anemone and BTA?

Discussion in 'Anemone' started by Araignees, May 27, 2009.

1. Araignees

Araignees Registered Member

Computer tech
    May 29, 2009
    Hello all,

I just bought a condylactis anemone today on an impulse (sale!) and was told by the salesman at the store that it would be all right for my tank. However, after doing a little more research (I know, should have done it beforehand >_>), I am reading a lot of bad experiences with these anemones. I already have had a BTA that is doing well and now I have read that one should not keep 2 types of anemone in the same tank.

When I put the condy anemone in, it went straight for my corals. I have read that they are much stronger stingers than the BTAs and I am thinking about taking it back tomorrow, as I am afraid that it will travel around and kill my corals/fish.

Is it safe to keep 2 types of anemone in the same tank? Furthermore, is the condy anemone safe for this setup? I have a 20 gallon tank, so I think it might be too small of a space if one or the other is going to be really territorial.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I am a total newbie. :) Thanks!

2. ktz216

ktz216 AC Members

Mar 14, 2015
    If you have a BIG tank then 2 anemone is ok, but for a 20 gallon..no way.

3. Araignees

Araignees Registered Member

Computer tech
    May 29, 2009
    Ok thanks, that's what I needed to know. I will try to take him back tomorrow. :)

4. Ace25

Ace25 www.centralcoastreefclub. com

Jan 14, 2015
    Good choice. I would definately agree that there is no way a BTA and Condy will be ok in a 20G. 200G maybe. You read right, condys pack a mean sting and will probably take out your BTA with enough time. I had one condy in my 29G for about 7 years and it was huge (1/2 the tank) before I gave it away with my maroon clown to a 225G home. Anytime I stuck my hand in the tank the condy would latch onto my hand if I got near it and stick like velcro on my skin, then Mr Maroon clown would come bite my hand, few times drawing blood.

5. DSR

DSR AC Members

super hero
    Aug 31, 2009
    Ace, sounds like it was a good idea that you rehomed that pair... they were out to get you.

6. DSR

DSR AC Members

super hero
    Aug 31, 2009
    for what its worth, I didn't have a problem with my condy messing with corals. It stayed under rock... which may have meant it was not doing well... might try a BTA this time.