Converting 20g from Fresh W. to Salt W.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zdunmeister

AC Members
Apr 16, 2011
Nope :p Haven't had an algae bloom. Is that something I should be concerned about? My first fish will definitely be a pair of Clowns.

Zdunmeister

AC Members
Apr 16, 2011
My lights came in today. They're pretty sweet. My question is how should I run the timer? I'm thinking 12pm-10pm actinic, 1pm-9pm 10000K, and then 10pm-2am LED. Is this a good idea or should the 10000k be the first bulbs to turn on? Please give me some input on this. Also, still haven't had a algae bloom yet... is this normal? Thank you.

Zdunmeister

AC Members
Apr 16, 2011
Also, since my calcium is at a pretty low level, can I start dosing additives or will it affect the kH too much? I'm not sure about what to do there.

Zdunmeister

AC Members
Apr 16, 2011
Hello, my water test results from today are: Ammonia .25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 0-5ppm: I couldn't decide on this one. The orange color on that test was so faint and close to yellow (0ppm) I had to put it as in between. Phosphate was 0ppm, pH was 8.4 and the salinity was 1.022. What do I do here? How can there be no Nitrite but still some Ammonia? For the ammonia and nitrite I use a freshwater API test kit to do that. Does this make a difference or no? I have a 'reef master test kit' but it doesn't include those two tests so I just use my fw test kit for them. I was hoping to go get a CUC today. If I change the water, wouldn't the ammonia and nitrate go away? If someone could please give me some input on this that would be great. If getting a CUC is a possibly I would want to do it today. Thank you.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
If you are reading ammonia i wouldn't add any animals at all.

The hardest thing to acquire for this hobby is also the most important, patience. I would recommend that you dose your ammonia to 2ppm. Wait 24 hours and run your tests again. Good luck and keep us posted.

Zdunmeister

AC Members
Apr 16, 2011
Well, I went to my LFS yesterday and watched them check my water for me with the true API saltwater tests. Ammonia read zero and nitrite did too, with only a small trace of nitrate. I had a feeling something was wrong with MY tests when I did them, because there wouldn't be ammonia if there's zero nitrite because nitrite is formed from ammonia correct? Anyways, I added my CUC consisting of about 7 crabs and 7 snails. Some of the snails haven't moved after being introduced is that normal? Some of the crabs have been climbing all over the snails and I read somewhere that the crabs can get to the snail and eat them?

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
hermit crabs will kill snails to get their shells when it is time for the crab to get a bigger home.

Zdunmeister

AC Members
Apr 16, 2011
Can I start dosing calcium to promote some coralline algae growth and prepare my tank for some corals in a few weeks?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
It depends on your levels really.

Just simply adding calcium isn't necessarily good. There is a ideal balance. Adding calcium if it is needed can throw off that balance.

Zdunmeister

AC Members
Apr 16, 2011
Hey guys. I think I'm going to add a pair of clownfish today. I want a pair, and I read that clownfish can sex-change? If this is true, can I just get two clownfish from the store and they'll definitely pair up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store