Convict...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Ive been informed there are farms where deformed fishes were chosen specifically/selectively to produce deformed offsprings and given modified names to charge extra $. I think Ive seen it with blue rams as well.
I feel all should refrain from purchasing such fish. It breaks my hear to see some fish struggle just to stay float/balanced. Hopefully, no demand, no supply. Perhaps a wishful thought on my part.

If you already have them, I feel he/she should be given best care possible just like any other treasures but dont breed them.

They are so common yet so beautiful!

Last edited:

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..like iv said before this fish was in PetSmart, where there policies, do not buy cut or modified fish like this..i rescued her from being put in to a bowl by an uneducated shopper at the store ..who thought she was cute.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
ok! so big update! got her home in to her 20 gallon....and she went pink at first! no wonder when she colors up she is purple! here are a few shots of when she got in to her new tank....

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
after a few days of settling in i got her a male! he is very gentle...infact she is a bully not him! and her colors really came out!!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
there tank! and after only a few days in the tank they are spawning!! yayyyyyy!!!!

[YT]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3QB04Skfvlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QB04Skfvlc

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Glad to see that she has done well and that you ignored the suggestion to put her down.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Glad to see that she has done well and that you ignored the suggestion to put her down.
yeah..i seen no reason she is perfectly healthy and has no swimming or eating issues what so ever....its so horrible for someone to suggest that to a perfectly healthy fish....shes doing wonderfully!!^_^

question though...i have not seen many people keep them in planted tanks?....they seem to love the pennywort and anubia in the tank..though they like to rearrange the java moss.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I think its mostly because convicts tend to be decorators. That was one thing that steered me away from getting one when I was looking to get into cichlids.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Nice female. Also you may wanna try not having the pictures lined up
as you do makes it alot harder to read comments. I do agree that you
made a good decision on not putting her down. I do believe it is a birth
defect. I believe even after thousands of spawns you may never see a
convict without a tail but that can just be a result of having better
gene's from not being so inbred. Inbreeding can cause birth defects
like missing tails, fins, shorter bodies, deformed mouths, ect.

Keep an eye on the fry as they grow that they dont also end up with
birth defects.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store