Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Coral stung by urchin (HELP)

Discussion in 'Saltwater Illness and Disease' started by clowny, Feb 4, 2011.

1. clowny

clowny Registered Member

Accountant
    I recently purchased blue Cespitularia Xenia, and a pincushion urchin. They both were doing great and one night when i came home from work the coral was "melting" and the urchin was slowly escaping off of the frag plug. Is this coral save able? if there is anything i can dose to help it. The coral was 2-3 inches high and about 1/3 of a penny base, now it is the size of a penny base wise and height. It is also trying to move off of the frag plug. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME try and make this coral come back to its former glory.

2. Amphiprion

Amphiprion Contain the Excitement...

IT/sales
    This is actually a common reaction in xeniid corals. Many things can cause it. As such, I doubt the urchin had stung the coral. Even puncture wounds aren't an issue for xeniids. I suspect the Cespitularia had a meltdown reaction and the urchin simply dined upon what was left of the encrusted base--common, as many/most urchins are omnivorous to one degree or another. Whether or not the coral will come back will depend upon water conditions and how much tissue is left. A post containing your water parameters, preferably when the Cespitularia died, if you tested then. If not, getting some parameters as soon as possible will help quite a bit.