Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

cowfish questions

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Only (FO) / Fish Only With Live Rock (' started by D.J., May 8, 2008.

1. D.J.

D.J. AC Members

May 14, 2009
    i doubt ill get him but if i do.....i have questions

1.....how big do they get? the one my LFS has is about 2x2 square!!

2....49.99 the right price for them or they making a killing on him?

3....what do they go with? i dont have them listed on my comp. chart

4....what is the min. tank required for them?

thanks
    dj

2. rxdoc_85

rxdoc_85 AC Members

Jul 15, 2008
    i don't know much about them, except that they can get up to 18"!! so it would require a large tank if you're going to keep it a long time. they are toxic, so if they're stressed by a tankmate or just in general they can leak toxin in the water and kill corals/fish, even themselves. i think they're peaceful fish...it's just the size and toxin that are the main drawbacks in my opinion.

3. marine_geek

marine_geek AC Members

Highschooler
    Apr 7, 2010
    The internet has them for 20$-40$ so 50$ isnt too bad. Iv read that they should only be housed with more peaceful fish that wont stress them. Iv also heard that they should not be housed with fish that will want to clean them (like pipefish). I dont know about tank size but they get big.

4. Bagshaw

Bagshaw AC Members

Jan 27, 2010
    i would say 220 gal would be a good tank size. I wouldnt reccommend buying one.

5. SpockthePuffer

SpockthePuffer AC Members

Student - studying Graphic Design
    Jan 20, 2009
  6. dilbert

dilbert AC Members

Oct 16, 2008
    But cowfish are character fish that are worth to keep them on their own.

Maximum size is been said only 16" instead of 20" as often stated. But they will need a big tank as already said.

Some people had them with puffers but some reported problems, too. If any tankmates, then peaceful fish and no cowshish from the same species.

There is a Web page: http://www.cowfishes.com/

7. pufferfreak

pufferfreak AC Members

Sep 19, 2011
    Cowfish are great fish. If you have the tank size get one. As long as the fish are compatible. A 120+ would be the tank size you are looking for. Dont let the scare of ostracitoxin get to you. This species rarely releases it. Even so if it survived the stressful shipping process without poisining itself it will probably take a lot to get it to release it.

Like i said, if you have the space and time get one!

8. axepilot

axepilot AC Members

Feb 20, 2012
    Agreed. I have one. It's the most relaxed fish in the tank and a true personality. It eats from my hand and follows me around the tank when I scrape the glass lookiong for tidbits.

9. Amphiprion

Amphiprion Contain the Excitement...

IT/sales
    Oct 27, 2014
    Actually, neither of those lengths are accurate. 18 inches (46cm) as mentioned earlier, is the maximum, empirically-reported size.

In my experience, these fish rarely ever release the toxin. In fact, out of the many dozens I have come in contact with in the shop, only one has ever caused a problem. The same goes for customers who have had them.

10. Tb86

Tb86 Registered Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Make no mistake,These guys get big... If you have spent any serious time diving or around these guys they grow out to 18 ++ inches, love to eat inverts ect, but super cool fish just gotta keep an eye on them