Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Damsel help please

Discussion in 'Damsel / Anemone Fish' started by unclefahaka, Mar 16, 2005.

1. unclefahaka

unclefahaka AC Members

Pharm Tech
    I had a domino damsel die about 2 weeks ago. Then I lost a striped damsel 2 days ago. Today my (I don't know his exact name) Orange damsel with a blue spot on the upper top of his fin, he's looking peach instead of the bright orange he use to be. I'm woried I'm going to lose him, any ideas as to what this could be?

26 gallon tank jebo.
    Right now the tank specs are:
    salinty 1.027
    Nitrate 15
    Nitrite 0
    ppm 260
    PH 8.3

The water looks fine. I put in a ick, parasite , and algea tabs last week. That was before the domino died. Before the domino died, he turned a brownish color and then died a few days later. I'm woried to lose another fish. The striped damsel didn't lose any color. He was live 1 hour and the next he was just..dead.. Any idea as to whats going on.

Inside the tank fish wise I have
    Pink tip condi(Anemone)
    1 Blue damsel
    1 maroon clown
    1 green chromis
    1 orange damsel

Thanks a lot,

Justin

2. YoFishboy

YoFishboy I'll sleep when I'm dead...

I'm wondering if it might be the combination of all the meds/chemicals at once - your salinity is a little high, your nitrates are in an acceptable range - any other info about your set up? How long has it been running? What is it your are measuring at 260 ppm?

3. unclefahaka

unclefahaka AC Members

Pharm Tech
    tanks cycling prcoess was done feburary 3. I Used an instant cycler, bio spira for saltwater. I used it on feb 2nd, introduced a fish on feb 3rd.

ppm , alkalinity/buffering capacity. Thats all my strips say. I have the kits too, but I like the strips more. Anyway,

Any idea?

Justin

4. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    At a guess--stress from aggression and crowding. That's a ton of fish in a 26, all in the same family, and many well known for being aggressive.

5. unclefahaka

unclefahaka AC Members

Pharm Tech
    4 small fish which are about an inch each and 1 small pink tip is overcrowding? They seem to be good with each other. Like No problems so far. They don't attack each other or nip or anything.

I don't get how 4 can be overcrowding. its a 26 gallon, theres so much room for them.

Justin

6. OrionGirl

Information Tech
    With damsels, it's not size that's limiting. It's territory needs. Damsels will claim and defend a huge amount of space, and while you may not see the aggression, I sincerely doubt that it's not happening. Maroon clowns specifically are well known for being terrors. The presence of competitors for space is stressful.

7. unclefahaka

unclefahaka AC Members

Pharm Tech
    So if I were to buy 10 green chromis, they'd be cool? Are they just like that with other fish?

I know it seems doubtful, but I never see them be agressive towards each other. My girlfriends home all day, she never sees anything differently. The only thing that really changes it the condi, and he just deflates and reflates a lot.

Justin

8. OrionGirl

Information Tech
    No, 10 chromis won't do well in a small tank either. Stocking rates in SW are much, much lower than for FW.

9. YoFishboy

YoFishboy I'll sleep when I'm dead...

I have a 25g reef tank with a maroon clown, a yellow damsel and a yellow watchman goby - it's been three years and they get along fine, but I woudn't add any more. Your most aggressive damsel actually died (the domino), and I certainly wouldn't add any more fish - how is it going now? Is the orange damsel doing better?

10. mr.geronimo23

mr.geronimo23 AC Members

Goverment
    I had a similar problem with some damsels and could never figure out what was going on , a friend of mine told me to add a air stone ( its actually a wood one) and that solved my problem. Im not saying thats your problem but never hurts to add one :D