Desperate in need of help before I throw in the towel - Amonia issues!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

David Y

AC Members
Feb 24, 2015
Tap water comes out at 25C. i match the tank water temp. I don't want to put in pure cold?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
discuspaul.. it has been in a few discussions.. most folks don't do proper maint on their hot water tanks. as a result sediment builds in the bottom.. also hotwater is more prone to leaching minerals from pipes and sediment.

I've seen it measure different using tds meters.. hot almost always higher TDS compared to cold.
as a result while I don't do cold water changes (I have done it with no ill effect btw) I tend to use a lot less hot water to temper the water.. now the water is cool.. but not matched.. I often think we forget that in nature water can fluctuate in temperature quite a lot with no ill effect on the fish .. but I don't mean freezing water to warm water .. just cooler water ...

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
discuspaul.. it has been in a few discussions.. most folks don't do proper maint on their hot water tanks. as a result sediment builds in the bottom.. also hotwater is more prone to leaching minerals from pipes and sediment.

I've seen it measure different using tds meters.. hot almost always higher TDS compared to cold.
as a result while I don't do cold water changes (I have done it with no ill effect btw) I tend to use a lot less hot water to temper the water.. now the water is cool.. but not matched.. I often think we forget that in nature water can fluctuate in temperature quite a lot with no ill effect on the fish .. but I don't mean freezing water to warm water .. just cooler water ...
Gotcha - thanks.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
The onset of the rainy season and the cool rainwater lowering the water temperature is a spawning trigger for some species of fish. Depending on the location the change in temperature from a rain can be anywhere from a few degrees up to 10 degrees C drop in temperature.

To figure what the change in temperature would be in your tank it would be tank temp minus tap temperature times fraction of water changed. Given that your your tap is 25C and tank is 26.5C I don't think that is an issue to put in plain tap water to refill your tank temperature wise. A 50% water change with straight tap will temporarily lower the temperature only .75 degree C which is not even a good rain shower's worth of temperature drop.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
The onset of the rainy season and the cool rainwater lowering the water temperature is a spawning trigger for some species of fish. Depending on the location the change in temperature from a rain can be anywhere from a few degrees up to 10 degrees C drop in temperature.

To figure what the change in temperature would be in your tank it would be tank temp minus tap temperature times fraction of water changed. Given that your your tap is 25C and tank is 26.5C I don't think that is an issue to put in plain tap water to refill your tank temperature wise. A 50% water change with straight tap will temporarily lower the temperature only .75 degree C which is not even a good rain shower's worth of temperature drop.
Excellent point.

Mark

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
+1

I use cool water during changes even with altum where I use 'aged' water it is cooler than the tank (88f)

and the discus are use to cool/cold water changes..

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
this interesting tangent to thread. when i do my partial, i've been heating up water to get the cool water to same temp. PIA!
think i will stop now.

i was afraid of getting ich with the temp drops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store