Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Discus 2-4 inches growing time?

Discussion in 'Angel Fish & Discus' started by aquaholic, Jan 24, 2007.

1. aquaholic

aquaholic AC Members

Apr 5, 2011
    I was wondering how long does it take one to get 2inches biger in lets say 240g. Its just that the price is quite a diffrence when you buy 10 or 15 of them. And so far the best place I am seeing online is www.somethingphishy,com any suggestions anyone? Thanks

2. Marinemom

Marinemom AC Members

Jun 18, 2009
    A lot goes into the growing patterns and processes of fish, in this case discus. A lot of it also has to do with how they were raised as fry and where they are coming from. Discus in particular need very clean pristine water. They are a very high maintenance fish. They will reqire daily water changes of 50-70 percent if they are juviniles because they will need to be feed frequently such as four to five times a day. They also need a bare bottom tank which makes the cleanup that much easier. Juvie discus can and do waste away in a tank that has substrate or if it is planted. Sub-adult or adult discus can be fed once or twice a day but will still need very clean pristine water. I do five water changes a week of 60% or better for my discus and they are in the sub-adult range. Lots of water changes and good food and they should grow just fine for you.

Marinemom

3. aquaholic

aquaholic AC Members

Apr 5, 2011
    Well yeah I am ok with high maintance, I just wondered if its worth paying more then double the price between 2 and 4 inch discus.?

4. Mgamer20o0

Mgamer20o0 BobsTropicalPlants.com
    Staff Member

Today at 1:37 AM
    i always go with the smaller fish. the longer their life are in my hands the better off they will be. raised right from the start they will be bigger more colorful and live a better life i think.

5. Rbishop

Rbishop The glistening drop....
    Staff Member

Production Manager
    Today at 5:01 PM
    Going with the smaller size is usually my preferrence. Depending on the quality of care you will be at the 4" range in a short period.

6. Ghost_knife

Ghost_knife AC Members

Dec 17, 2013
    I tried clicking on your link, dosnt go to a pet place..

7. Star_Rider

Star_Rider AC Moderators
    Staff Member

PC/network tech
    Apr 15, 2015
    I agree with much of what has been said.

it is best to raise discus in a bare bottom especially young discus..but they can be raised in a planted tank with a substrate bottom..it's just not 'best'
    discus get the 'tag' of being delicate fish. however, many dicus being domestically raised (tank raised) they are tougher than many believe. while wild discus can be difficult and sensitive to water conditions..most domestically raised discus are not so 'delicate'.

I would highly suggest you find a discus breeder. if the breeder is local..visit them. you will be amazed at the condition you find their fish in. healthy discus raised correctly from fry in a breeders tanks will look significantly different from discus kept in a LFS.

water changes are critical for raising young discus..as they should get fed at minimum 4 X per day. this means more waste..as a result it is easier to clean a bare bottom tank..that is why many raise discus in a bare bottom. water should be changed everyday for young discus.

once past the juvenile stage you can reduce the water changes ..I do water changes usually 3 x per week in my discus and angel tanks..sometimes I do 2 per week when my schedule prevents more. but never less than two and no less than 40%.

will more water changes help..yes..if you want to raise show quality fish (very large well over 6")
    in a planted tank discus may reach 6" or slightly over..but they usually don't reach dinner plate sizes.
    yes, they are healthy

I currently have 6" discus breeding in a community tank..they are fat and healthy. tough enough to kick the you know what out of angels in the same tank.

8. BadRoma1

BadRoma1 AC Members

Dec 11, 2010
    i got my discus from a breeder, and he feeds his young discus 3 times a day, some breeders feed 3 times even newly born discus and do good. discus will grow faster if you feed them different foods and do water changes once or twice a week. DON'T feed your discus live food if you don't want to loose any, like black worms, because they are worm infested. discus that's like a year old should be like 6" or more