DIY CO2 Guide with Pictures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
<edit>I would use brewers yeast instead of the bread/baking yeast used in the pictures. It will be able to handle the alcohol production better. </edit>

You have to be VERY careful using this type of method! Don't fill the bottle too full, and don't use glass!!! You run a very high risk of having a 'hand grenade' in your home if you use glass. If you fill it too full, you will have a yeast shower before too long. That also means don't overdo the yeast! If the reaction gets going too strongly, you will have an explosive reaction on your hands.

I also don't suggest trying to drink what you produce as an end product. That combination is likely to result in some odd flavors and the wrong kind of alcohol being produced.

All that yeast that is left over can be recylcled into your next batch of CO2. You will need live, viable yeast still. But the dead yeast can act as food for the live yeast, and will help start the firmentation process. OR... You can use that yeast on house and garden plants. The plants will LOVE it!

Joe

Actually, bakers yeast is tolerant up to about 14% alcohol, while brewers yeast is only good to 5-7%. Some people are able to find champagne yeast quite cheap, which will go up to about 18%, and some turbo yeasts will go as high as 22-24% with optimum conditions, but come at a price premium. For most folks, bread yeast will give the most bang for hte buck, and is usually the easiest to find.

You should never have pressure being built up in the container. As long as you don't fill it up too full, the airline should never get blocked.

As fas as drinking it, well, if you realy want to, it probably wouldn't do much harm. It will basically be uncarbonated beer without any real flavor. As with any fermentation (beer, wine, other mash destined for distillation), the main alcohol being produced is ethyl alcohol, with some byproducts in much smaller quantities. These are the things that give you hangovers, if drunk in large enough quantities. I've toyed with the idea of using my DIY CO2 setup for making small test batches of beer instead of chancing a 5gal batch of beer that was a bad idea, but haven't gotten around to it. But, if you're that desperate for alcohol, or just like the idea of making your own, have at it.

tyrantt23

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Bay Area, CA

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
This is my biggest worry about these systems. How should I do to test the check valve and make sure its working properly? My check valve is of this type:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=2356&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=check+valve&sku=258113&familyID=7002&
Hey, I have that as well and I guess you would just blow in it to see which direction allows the flow. If both ways work, you have a problem.

Also you said, "This is my biggest worry about these systems." This leads me to believe that you think that a check valve is supposed to stop the mix from getting into the tank , it won't. The valve is supposed to keep the water in the tank from siphoning into the container and ruining the yeast mix. Now if you have your valve going the wrong way, you will have pressure building up within the container, which is a very bad thing. The flow should go from the container to the tank, not the other way around.

If you want to prevent the mix from going into the tank, you will need a bubble counter/seperator in between the container and the tank. Perhaps someone with a little more experience with these will chime in, because I don't use one.

tyrantt23

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Thanks Sammie. My check valve has an arrow, so I know which way to put it. My worry is if the check valve really works for keeping the water from siphoning back, or if they only "help prevent." Anyway, I guess I'll just have to blow on it from time to time to make sure it is still working and in tip-top shape.

As far as the bubble counter/separator, I will probably use the idea used in the first post of this thread, by gluing the check valve into the syringe. It's a really nice idea and looks like it would work great.

John N.

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
California
John, there is no AS10 listed. Most C02 systems use 1/8 tubing, they do not seem to have a stone with 1/8 barb. What are you using?
This is the Sweetwater stone I've been using. Also, if you go to the website aquaticeco.com and search for AS10 it'll bring you up to the sweetwater stone section. This stone is 3/16" OD, and fits snugly on the 1/8" ID tubing and standard 3/16" tubing.

I guess I'll just have to blow on it from time to time to make sure it is still working and in tip-top shape.

As far as the bubble counter/separator, I will probably use the idea used in the first post of this thread, by gluing the check valve into the syringe. It's a really nice idea and looks like it would work great.
Yup, check up on the valve every once in a while. A tell tell sign is water in the tubing.

The syringe bubble counter works very well and is very useful.

-John N.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store