Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

DIY CO2 'recharge' ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by AqEnthusiast, Mar 3, 2012.

1. AqEnthusiast

AqEnthusiast AC Members

Hi..

I use DIY co2..

Once the co2 stops/reduces in diy, am i expected to add more yeast/sugar? Or i must make fresh new mixture?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

2. SubRosa

SubRosa Banned

Best to make a new mixture. The other byproduct of fermentation is alcohol, and it inhibits fermentation as it rises eventually to the point of killing all the yeast. Baker's yeast, which are strains selected for maximum rising ability, aka maximizing CO2 production are not very tolerant of alcohol accumulation, much less so than strains selected for wine production which are necessarily more tolerant of alcohol.

3. AqEnthusiast

AqEnthusiast AC Members

Many thanks... Understood the message - best to make new mix...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

4. kingearwig

kingearwig Master Pond Snail Breeder

I always add a some sugar to mine once when it runs low on CO2. But I am sure that some of the sugar is not getting fermented. I only get a day or 2 more out of it.

5. tbonedeluxe

tbonedeluxe AC Members

Roof Tech
  6. vequalsir

vequalsir AC Members

Technical Support Bulk DC Power
    Your yeast never really dies...it just gets drunk and goes to sleep.

If you want to be frugal about your DIY reactor, carefully pour off the fermented liquor leaving the sediment. The yeast is in there sleeping. Add that to the new mix and things will get busy again.

7. Sploke

Sploke resident boozehound
    Staff Member

troublemaker