DIY extra bio filtration from a canister

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Hi I was playing around with my filters and came up with this, the out put of my canister is hooked into and old aquaclear filled with sponge

Tony
Are you sure this is helping matters or make them worse? I see possible problems:

The sponges will restrict the waterflow and put more stress on the pump of the canister. This will slow down the flow through the canister, giving the bacteria more time to deplete the oxygen out of the water. You will end up with very little oxygen for the bacteria in the HOB unless you are hoping to create an environment for anaerobic bacteria.

For slower flow (if that is the intention), I would think two smaller gph rated filters (whether they be 2 canisters, 2 hobs, or a canister and hob) would work better than one big restricted one.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If anything, the canister output would just bypass the HOB media, as it does when that media is clogged, not affecting the pump at all. What little decreased flow there would be, if you believe that wouldn't even begin to consume the O2 and cause die off of any major extent.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Basically an external media tray. In stead of sponges I'd have put ceramic rings, bioballs or lava rock in it, but that's just me.

I think Bob's right...you're not gonna get much restriction in the canister outflow.

Mark

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
If anything, the canister output would just bypass the HOB media, as it does when that media is clogged, not affecting the pump at all. What little decreased flow there would be, if you believe that wouldn't even begin to consume the O2 and cause die off of any major extent.
Oh, I stand corrected then. Last time I talked to my LFS on the matter of HOB he suggested to make sure that filter media can be bypassed. He is more than happy to sell the expensive cartridges, but he won't forget to mention that it is cheaper and better to simply forget the media tray, cut your own foam to exact size (minus a half inch on the sides for bypassing if needed) then stuff the bio filter on top (balls, noodles, whichever) in a media bag and be done with it. From the picture it looked like there is no more anything in the HOB, but tightly packed foam.

Since it is prefiltered through the canister, that bypassing might not ever be an issue. Might even be a great way to oxygenate the water before it gets back into the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store