Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Do you use PVC pipe in your aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by PunkMartyr, Jan 7, 2003.

1. PunkMartyr

PunkMartyr AC Members

student PSU
    May 12, 2004
    I bought a pvc pipe piece from home depot today and put it in my aquarium. I started brainstorming and had some ideas in my head but wanted to see what types of things other people have done with PVC. I bet people with eels especially have done some interesting things.

2. DrDeath

DrDeath AC Members

Investigator
    Jan 31, 2008
    Back on the 3rd Online2 posted some pics of his tanks. He has a really neat ABS setup. CHeck it out. I want to do something similar.

DrD

3. goldfries

goldfries AC Members

Web designer
    Sep 3, 2003
    does a PVC water-outlet for my filter count?

other ways for the PVC would be to be as a deco where the plecs and loaches get to hangout.

4. gcvt

gcvt Functional Aquaholic

Jun 26, 2005
    I just use PVC for my plumbing systems :)

But, who was it that took large diameter pieces of PVC, covered them in silicone, and rolled them in aquarium gravel??! It looked great - little caves covered in gravel that matched the substrate. Anyone remember this, or who it was?

5. goldfries

goldfries AC Members

Web designer
    Sep 3, 2003
    LOL, who had that much silicone?

but then it'll look great cos it's something like those pipes with some bio-organism on it.

how about a pipe/brick deco? Bob The Builder Fish.

6. Skippy

Skippy Grand Poobah of Fun

geek
    Sep 20, 2008
    I use PVC pipe segments (about 4 inches long) in my peacock gudgeon tank scattered around. The males take up roost in them and guard eggs in them when they spawn.

I have tinkered with some ideas about cave systems under the gravel of a tank using PVC, but for now have limited my experiments to taking those disposable glad containers and turning them upside down and cutting an entrance hole in them.

Then cover them with gravel.

Makes decent little "caves"

7. online2

online2 AC Members

Mar 26, 2015
    I thought about taking my ABS and siliconing gravel onto it, but just didnt have enough time right now, so I just decided on using plants to help disguise it. My Clown Loaches love it, this is where they go to sleep.

Online2

8. fishfreek

fishfreek AC Members

Jul 24, 2003
    That is an awsome idea with the PVC and sylicon and gravel.

I might have to try that one day.

9. punch

punch AC Members

Inventory controller
    Aug 8, 2013
    I have done that, I have 2 caves made of PVC with gravel siliconed on it. They make great caves that match the look of the
    aquarium, and my fish love them. I also did this and attached java ferns to it as well.

10. off-ice

off-ice AC Members

May 16, 2007
    I cover all my flower pots with silicone and gravel. Makes it so they don't stand out so much.

:D