Dual Tank System Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
WOW! and all diy! Very impressive. This thread started in 2010 and we are now just over half way through 2012. I must say, if I had been around then to read from the very beginning, it would be well worth the wait.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Sorry for the lack of updates, have not been able to complete the facade yet, was waiting till I did that. Got some new fish (snowflake eel, Puffer, etc) but the only real change is a new water change system. I got rid of the black bin (after it nearly pancaked my entire filtration cabinet) and built a shelf to the left of the system with two 55g plastic drums to simplify things. Working well. I will try to get some pictures this weekend maybe.

mudskipper10

Sharkie
Jan 24, 2011
amazing. if i had the time and money i would try to replicate it except i dont have money:( or time really:) what kind of puffer? sound like alot of plumbing issues:(

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
It's a small porcupine puffer. Not so much plumbing issues as leaking issues heh. That tank was always meant to be temporary. The new permanent system should be pretty leak proof.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
He happily eats the food out of the auto feeder which is a mix of high quality pellets, flakes, and freeze dried Mysid. That mix of food has always served me pretty well. He also gets some of the diced raw (large) shrimp I feed the puffer and the Eel. I soak that in a vitamin solution and sometimes add fresh pressed garlic.

Everyone seems happy and healthy except that the puffer has some kind of eye problem. I'm not sure if I simply missed it in the store, or he developed it during transport. He seemshealthy, and can definitely see out of it, It's just that one eye is dialated. It hasn't gotten any worse in over a month, and I am keeping an eye on it (incase it's pop-eye) but so far so good. My quarantine tank got all screwed up when the leak occured (the water leaked through the wood into the quarantine tank so it was highly polluted). I completely drained it, cleaned it, and rebuilt it, but it still needs some time to cycle before I could possibly put him in there and give him some antibiotics. Also, it's been hot here and that tank does not have any kind of chiller as the main system does.

Funny story though. My eel has got to be the stupidest fish I have ever owned. He is blind as a bat and charges at food I feed him (generally on a stick) and often misses, hits the top of the tank, hits the side of the tank, slams into another fish, etc. Once he misses his eyesight sucks too much to find the food again until i move it away and wiggle it some more. Anyway, I wasn't thinking straight and when I put the puffer into the tank the first time the eel came charging out thinking he was food. He immediately clamped down on the puffer whom did not appreciate that (obviously) and proceeded to inflate. The eel, still holding tight, got stabbed in the face and the inside of the mouth before he figured out this was not food and should probably let go. He went and hid in his hole for a couple days and now stays very far away from the puffer hehe. Both were fine btw and showed no visible harm. Suffice to say, I make sure the eel is fed before I do just about anything in the tank at this point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store