Dual Tank System Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Wow, that looks crazy awesome already! I am stoked to see how its all going to turn out! Keep up the great work and Goodluck man.

StangSally

Fishy Kisses!
Apr 7, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Totally amazing idea!!!

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Wow looks great. What type of router bit did you use, and is it just regular acrylic adhesive that you used? The runny kind that basically melts it together?

Thanks, and again it looks very nice. I know how much NOT fun sanding that stuff is.
For which part? For the top I used a 1/2" bottom collar bit with a wooden form for the shape. For the overflow slot's I used the same bit, with a 3/4" form (I didn't want to use a plunge base, and you can't start a router with a 3/4" bit in a 3/4" in hole, so I used a smaller bit).

Yes I used Weld-on #3 and #16. Did an OK job at that, messed up the bottom of the overflow a bit and been dealing with some minor leak repairs, nothing serious though.

Thank's for the encouragement. It's been a lot of fun, long way to go!

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Small update.

90% done with tank 2. Just have to attach the overflow and water test. Will probably attach it tonight and water test tomorrow.

After that, it's onto modifying the room, and cabinet construction.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
So sorry for the lack of updates for anyone actually reading this.

Had a small hiccup in my plans, my first kid was born 3 weeks early. As you can imagine, it's been a hectic few weeks since.

Anyway, not for lack of progress we made all the structural modifications to the room. Still have some finish work to do on the drywall, but shortly I will be ready to actually begin work on the stands/cabinetry.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Had a small hiccup in my plans, my first kid was born 3 weeks early.
:bday: Congrats!! :hearts:

Now by my calculations you have about a year to finish the tanks. After that you won't have free time for another 20 years or so.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Alright, finally got around to getting some updates here. Sorry for the delay. I've been working on it, just haven't been posting.

Removing the old archway:

More teardown:
http://www.chadandnicole.com/LinkedPictures/fishtank/archteardown2.jpg

Framing out the new (square and lower) archway:

Drywall on the new arch:

We have since plastered, but are waiting to have a professional come out and texture.

Also started on the stands today:

Almost done (need a few brackets, then its ready):

That's it for now. Once the stands are ready to go, I'll tear out the carpet. Probably do the plumbing after that (through the walls and into cabinets) before I build the lower cabinets out. Still have the upper cabinets to work out, and the garage equipment cabinet.

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
Wow:)

This looks so good! When do you think you'll have it finished?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store