Dwarf Blue Crayfish (Cambarellus Shufeldtii)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Most of them have all turned brown or grey now :(. Here's a picture with a brown one and the largest one of the 8 that still has some "blue" color left (but not much)

Cambarellus shufeldtii 004.JPG

Jugglo

AC Members
Jul 28, 2009
on the coloring... hard water and veggies makes them BLUER, softer water and meaty foods make em browner... so they change color depending on water/diet.

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
Ahh, yes, I always wondered about that. :) My dwarf cajuns were various shades of brown, gray, almost black. They're fantastic aquarium critters and always a kick to watch.

Jugglo

AC Members
Jul 28, 2009
I get mine in next week from a friend...cant wait!!!!

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
They are definitely a blast to watch, very active and extremely fast when they are so small (not that they are very big full grown).

Craw Chief

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Jawasnack, I know this is an old thread, but could you share your experience with these crayfish over the years? How have they done with your plants and shrimp? I'm mostly interested in your experience keeping them with cherry shrimp.

Did you have any success giving them different foods to make their color bluer again?

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store