Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Dwarf Crayfish Compatibility

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by CrustaceaCurtis, Feb 17, 2012.

1. CrustaceaCurtis

CrustaceaCurtis AC Members

Marine Science Educator
    Has anyone raised dwarf crayfish (Cambarellus shufeldtii or CPOs) in a community tank?

I hear they're quite peaceful, but just wanted to see what others had to say.

Thanks!

2. vwill279

vwill279 AC Members

Avian Biologist; Dog Trainer/handler
    I have 3 CPO's, 2 male, 1 female (was supposed to be the other way around) in a 20L with some guppies and swordtails. There are also numerous species of snails and 1 RCS in that tank as well. I have noticed some frayed fins on my male guppy's tail, but I do not think I have lost many, if any, fry. I have never SEEN them go after a fish however, so it might not be them. I have seen swordtail fry nibble at the crays, who do nothing but go about their business. They also have not eaten the shrimp, though the shrimp tends to stay in the "floating jungle" and the crays stay on the substrate, so it might be lack of opportunity. I HAVE seen them trying to eat my baby apple snails with varying degrees of success. Also, my LFS had them stocked in the same tank as juvie dwarf cories and my female gladly snagged a healthy live baby cory and proceeded to eat a hole in it. That was the day he got them in and hadnt fed them yet, so she was probably just very hungry.

IMO, I would not house them with slow moving fish, fish with long fins, or bottom dwellers of a similar or smaller size. Also, since they stay so small, you have to be careful of fish that will pick on/attack them as it can be very stressful for them. Keep them well fed and provide plenty of hiding places (at least 2 per cray). The males are territorial and even in my 20L my two males fight sometimes, though neither have been injured from it.

3. CrustaceaCurtis

CrustaceaCurtis AC Members

Marine Science Educator
    Thanks!

Does anyone think that giant danios or cherry barbs would harass dwarf crayfish? I'm considering some CPOs for a 54 gallon community tank.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid AC Members

Cherry barbs don't bother my RCS so I doubt they'd bother CPO's.