Dwarf Gourami... Swim Bladder disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
From what I understand about the current breeding practices of dwarf gourami suppliers I shouldn't really be surprised. I "rescued" this little guy from walmart. He looked to be in good shape at the time but who knows where he came from or what conditions he was raised in? He's probably terribly inbred and carrying who-knows-what kind of genetic time-bombs.
Well I suppose if you have no plans on breeding him you should be ok. I asked my DH he said it's not unheard of either. He also told me certain sounds (some that we can't even hear sometimes) can send fish into a seizure. He said if they have a spine then of course they can have neurological issues. And don't feel bad, sometimes I need someone to talk to about my fish too glad you chose us!

fabiobruno

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
Bristol (UK)
Real Name
Fabio Bruno
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and new to the fish keeping passion too.
I had bought a dwarf gourami couple yesterday and the male after 1 hour started to behave as you described. In the morning I returned him to the shop and I was told that this was most likely due to a swim bladder disease, I was offered to replace mine with another one but when I had a look at the tank I saw one of them laying on his side and 4 swimming with a bit clamped fins, so I passed.
I suspect the dwarf gourami disease instead and I'm now worried for the female because if the male had the virus now she has got it too. She is swimming happily so far but she has got a mark (like if she had a concussion) on her right gill, does anybody recognise the symptom?

DSC_9982.JPG

Fred Norman

Registered Member
Jul 14, 2017
Dumfries, Scotland
Real Name
Fred
One of my Female Dwarf Gourami's is having trouble staying upright, she's been lying on her side most of the day, she's putting a lot of effort in trying to swim about, quite vigorously as the day has gone on, I put her into an isolation tank to try and give her a better chance, I've treated her with swim bladder medication, and wonder how long I should keep her confined
All my other fish are fine, it's a 60 gallon tank, everything cleaned regular, with everything balanced, there is other Dwarf Gourami, some Rasbora, X-Ray, Harlequin and Neon Tetra, Guppy and a Male Siamese, a small Glass Cleaner and Ghost Catfish, and as far as I can see, every other fish is fine, no symptoms of anything else, with every fish getting on fine, no fighting of any kind, any help and or advice would be much appreciated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store