English English & American English

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
When I watch auto races from England, they always talk about the "tarmac" as opposed to the "pavement". I bet they think our Nascar races are pretty barbaric.

cattlegrid_79

AC Members
Mar 24, 2004
Brighton, England
www.altereagles.co.uk
Is Nascar where they just go round and round in a circle???

Oh, i've remembered another one. The one time I was in America i asked somebody if this was the back of the queue, and they were like what's a queue. We later established it was a line in the USA.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
English people and pizzas.

I used to work at a Pizza Hut. A few times we'd have some English visitors. They always ordered anchovies. But the way the asked for them always made me laugh, as if they didn't think I'd know what it is.

"Can I have little fishies on it?"

Seriously. This was asked on two occassions. :)

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
cattlegrid_79 said:
Is Nascar where they just go round and round in a circle???
Circle, oval, tri-oval, yeah, that's about it. Only counter-clockwise too.

Do you guys have a word for those traffic circles? I live near DC, so have a few, but most people never have to deal with them.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Galaxie said:
a word for those traffic circles? ...
I don't like "round-abouts"... They should only be used, and built near new and used car lots! Want to test drive a car? Then use the roud-abouts.

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
How about some Canadianisms??? Our runners are your tennis shoes...we have a Chesterfield instead of a sofa....and EVERYONE wants to know...."What the heck is a toque????" lol

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
Galaxie said:
Do you guys have a word for those traffic circles? I live near DC, so have a few, but most people never have to deal with them.
Its a rotary or round-about :) . I'm from NH.

They installed one on NC States campus and after a ton of accidents and people not having a clue, it has actually made driving a lot easier. I'm glad they did it but boy was it a head-ache while people learned how to use it. We actually have one as you enter my apartment complex.

The scarriest one I've been in was around the Arc d' Triumph, well it was fun! Several lanes wide and try to work your way to the center as fast as you can and then work your way out again :D >

Last edited:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Ah, a fellow Raleighite. Cool. ;)
Yeah..Hillsborough st. was a nightmare to travel on. I used to live close to there off of Oberlin rd. Now I live further west in Raleigh..close to Cary. (Jones Franklin rd/Western blvd).

BTW, your bengal cat is awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store