explain to me how a bio ball filter works??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biowyo

AC Members
Apr 10, 2007
ARL:
anaerobic means living only in oxygen rich environment, thats why the balls work so well with a slow drip, humid conditions but open to the air. they cant live under water so for you to say "They say that when more than 2 feet deep and slow drip rate even nitrates are broken down or controlled. How it does that is beyond me, cause there sure wouldn't be any enearobic bacterias present in that condition." ; would be just the opposite of what is a proven fact in every single professional aquarium world wide as they all use a similar form of anaerobic bacteria culturing just for the purpose of converting ammonia to nitrite - nitrate.

Shocker6966

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Peterborough, Ontario
ARL:
anaerobic means living only in oxygen rich environment, thats why the balls work so well with a slow drip, humid conditions but open to the air. they cant live under water so for you to say "They say that when more than 2 feet deep and slow drip rate even nitrates are broken down or controlled. How it does that is beyond me, cause there sure wouldn't be any enearobic bacterias present in that condition." ; would be just the opposite of what is a proven fact in every single professional aquarium world wide as they all use a similar form of anaerobic bacteria culturing just for the purpose of converting ammonia to nitrite - nitrate.
I think you're trying to say "Aerobic" and "Anaerobic", meaning using oxygen and not using oxygen. The process that nitrifying bacteria carry out is an aerobic one. This is why your wet/dry and aerated filters are more efficient than standard models.

All moving water with exposure to air is oxygenated, whether it is 2 feet or 2 miles deep. This is why aerobic creatures, such as nitrifying bacteria, fish, invertebrates, and so on can live in an aquatic environment. As for nitrates being broken down or controlled, the only way to accomplish this other than water changes or chemical additives is using nitrate consuming plants. The bacterial chain ends at nitrates.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
As for nitrates being broken down or controlled, the only way to accomplish this other than water changes or chemical additives is using nitrate consuming plants.

Not exactly true.

khuongtran69

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Australia
Gumby, the pic you posted is just the tank not the filter. The bio ball is just a filter media which you put in the filter for the bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrite to live on.

GregS

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
I have heard of denitrators that work by slow flow rates in long-ish tubes full of bio balls, which if I recall are colonised by ANaerobic bacteria. Have a google of coil denitrator and see what comes up - appears salt water aquaria use them. the mechanics of them I dont know, except that exist and are used in aquariums.

cheers

Greg

Mar 29, 2007
yeah if the nitrogen cycle ended at nitrates, then the natural waters of the world that has no plants will be like pure nitrates lol.

Fish poop/Decaying food/decaying plants
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate--------------------------------->nitrogen, releases into atmosphere
plants (or algae) eats nitrate
Fish eats plants/plants die
Repeat

Thats natures nitrogen cycle, most aquariums skip the nitrate to nitrogen part and rather use water changes. Im sure something on earth converts nitrogen into something else, and then converts that to something else etc until it reaches square 1. If god didnt make these in a circular motion, then there probably wouldnt be no world.

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
i presume this filter is a bioball filter?????

and if it is could someone tell me how it works so i can construct one myself?
i would like the heater in the corner unit awell if thats all good.
These are Bio Balls

Check out this site >http://www.gec.jp/WATER/data/water_10-1.html

Not exactly dealing with aquariums, but it offers something to consider regarding water treatment and bio-balls.

Mar 29, 2007
bio-balls is just filter media anyways, you could use sponge as a wet/dry media. Bio-balls just offer a bit more surface area.

TEL

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Brisbane Australia
creamic noodles or sinted glass can go in any filter and do a much better job then plastic bio balls because they have a greater surface area to grow good bateria

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store