Extensive African Dwarf Frog Article - Revised

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

froggirls

Registered Member
Jun 14, 2007
SHOCKED!

We recently got an ADF for out little girl when we were at the pet store. He lived in a large bowl with a small goldfish. We had an issue with our cat. Suddenly after a few weeks she decided the frog would make a delicious snack. The fish was unfortunately collateral damage, found dead on the floor. After losing one frog, we replaced him with another.

A few days after getting our second frog (and fish), our little girl accidentally left the door open to where the tank was and we came home to a gruesome scene of a dead fish and missing frog. We looked around, but couldn't find the frog and had assumed he was eaten (like the last one).

Three days later while I was taking a shower, my husband came in and thought he found the frog dead on the floor. When he went to pick it up it tried to hop away!! The frog was still alive!!

We put the frog back into his tank (safely away from the cat), and he seems to have no injuries and somehow managed to stay moist for 3 days out of water! This happened tonight and he is currently swimming around and floating at the top of his tank (we keep checking, he's still alive!)

He was found between the bath tub and bath toy bucket. His life seems to have been saved by the fact that our little girls are messy in the bath tub!

Is there anything we can do to help calm him, or help him recover from this obviously devastating incident? Do you think he will survive?

aquariageek

I be an Aquarist!
Nov 22, 2006
ADF's will float lazily at the surface so they can breath without swimming up and down. This is perfectly normal. As long as he does not have any wounds you can see just let him relax :)

TerryJ

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2007
Thanks so much Leopardess......this article was so informative and fascinating......

I've had two little ADF's for a few weeks now.....gorgeous little things.....

When they were tiny I fed them frozen bloodworm with tweezers, then they began feeding themselves......but little devils :devil: they now wait in the hope I'll hand feed them...so sometimes I put a few bloodworm, dried or thawed between my fingers and they love pulling at them......they'll also eat flaked food like this, and it ensures my other fish don't get there first....

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
I didn't see hand-feeding mentioned, but it has become a pretty cool pastime with my froggy.
When I first got my frog, I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to care for her appropriately because she wouldn't come to the surface for freeze dried bloodworms. I could not feed the little thing.
Finally, I pinched a single worm between my fingers and I held it in front of her face. First, she fled in terror, but she eventually figured it out.
Now the little thing will sit in my hand if I move it close enough, and she has no trouble with being transferred from tank to tank, in my hand instead of a big frightening net. She doesn't freak out anymore whatsoever. If you decide to try hand-feeding, it actually makes the frog a good friend of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store