Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Feeding hillstream loaches

Discussion in 'Loaches' started by sora1600, Sep 21, 2011.

1. sora1600

Jan 27, 2015
    What do I feed hillstream loaches? I'm planning on getting only sewellia lineolata but also Gastromyzon scitulus if I can find them. So far I researched that they like algae wafers, bloodworms, vegetables, and brine shrimp. Anything else? I want to be prepared before getting them.

2. platytudes

platytudes AC Members

Mar 29, 2014
  3. spencerguy1

spencerguy1 I dont do Tuesdays.

Jun 17, 2014
    Mine eat algae, shrimp pellets, garbage and other crap that settles on the substrate, etc.

What fish are stocked with them? Mine rarely get a good meal because they are with corys and plecos. If you have very energetic bottomfeeders, you might need to spotfeed r find something only they like.

4. sora1600

Jan 27, 2015
    Thanks for the links. I'll check it out when I get on my home computer.

Spencer, I don't plan on adding anything else to the tank. Just the loaches.

5. PlecoLuvr

PlecoLuvr AC Members

Graphic Designer
    Oct 5, 2011
    I feed mine shrimp pellets and Pure Aquatic bottom feeder pellets. They are both big but when they are in the water for just a bit they get soft. mine love them and I alternate between they to give them a balanced diet. They also like green beans, don't ask me why, but they do.

6. spencerguy1

spencerguy1 I dont do Tuesdays.

Jun 17, 2014
    Ok, then algae wafers, veggies, shrimp pellets, etc. Would work.

7. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Stay-at-home Dad! (I taught High School English in
    Friday at 11:12 AM
    Mine rarely eat anything other than the algae in my tank. I've read from a number of places that they'll eat all sorts of things, but mine seem to prefer the natural algae. They also like the Mazuri herbivore gel food (the no corn one).

If you do source some Gastromyzon, please let me know where!

8. sora1600

Jan 27, 2015
    Thank you all for the food suggestions. Will check everything out once I'm home.

Happypoet, I love your hillstream tank. Such a lovely environment for the fishes. Yea, I'm going to see if my local transhipper can get me some since he gets a lot of Asian fishes.

#8 sora1600, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Stay-at-home Dad! (I taught High School English in
    Friday at 11:12 AM
    Thanks so much! It's my favorite tank I've done so far.

I just ordered a kg of the Mazuri Herbivore gel powder (the smallest amount one can order). Inka sent me some to sample before I bought, so I'll pass on his kindness and send you a sample from my batch if you want to try it sometime. Just pm if/when you want it! Sewellia are adaptable to a variety of foods, but mine certainly seem to like the stuff!

10. sora1600

Jan 27, 2015
    I'll make sure to PM you before getting the loaches. Right now I'm just planning and getting their tank ready. Planning to get them around the end of November or December. Not in any hurry since I want to make it the best I can for them.