Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Feeding scooter blenny.

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Only (FO) / Fish Only With Live Rock (' started by rufioman, May 19, 2011.

1. rufioman

rufioman "That guy"

Student/Hospitality worker.
    Today at 4:28 PM
    Greetings all! After keeping 4 turbo snails alive for a week in my 40g breeder I went out and got two fish from a friend who broke down his 75g. I received a pajama cardinal and scooter blenny. The pajama cardinal eats spirulina flake, but I was told the scooter would be mad hard to feed and am worried I got in over my head. The 30~ pounds of live rock should have a decent amount of pods, but I'm still uneasy. Should I feed frozen mysis or try and culture my own pods? Thanks!

2. SubRosa

SubRosa AC Members

Jun 21, 2013
    Scooters will take frozen much more often than not. Flakes probably not. Having a fuge to provide a source of pods would be a good idea in any case.

3. greech

greech AC Moderators

Environmental Assessments and Remediation
    Jan 29, 2015
    If the scooter isn't already eating prepared foods it is much easier to get it going in a small tank or a breeder net. If it has the choice to eat pods or frozen it will probably prefer the former and ignore the later. I have read good things about Nutramar OVA or roe from a local fish market. Most of the oriental markets around here sell roe. You definitely started off with one of the tougher fish (happens to lots of us). I would probably shutt all your flow off and try and feed it small amounts of spirulina brine and mysis a few times a day. Who knows maybe you will get lucky and it will start eating pellets for you. The other option would be to buy live pods or trade it to someone with a large tank or your LFS. Keep an eye on its weight and if it starts looking thin you should proably move it somewhere it can get the food it needs.

4. betta splendens

betta splendens AC Members

Jun 22, 2011
    my scooter blenny loves frozen bloodworms. I think it likes the red color. In any case, even if bloodworms are not very healthy, they are a good food to get it started eating. once it starts eating frozen, you should have no trouble getting it to eat mysis and brine shrimp. Once he starts to eat, be prepared for puppydog-like begging and cute displays every time you walk up to the tank! here is a picture of mine displaying :)

Attached Files:

5. blue2fyre

blue2fyre Blue Fish

Jan 26, 2015
    OMG that picture is so cute! What an awesome little fish :)

6. betta splendens

betta splendens AC Members

Jun 22, 2011
    how is he? is he eating yet?