Finally...Altums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Gorgeous! Good luck and keep us posted on their progress!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
They look great! can't wait to see them all settled in! Good luck with them!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
feeding time

feeding.JPG

feeding.JPG

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
good luck pal

i hear that altums are very hard to keep much less breed

if you do breed them i'll give you a major congrats because you will get one step closer to bringing this fish to the masses

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
thanks...

they are considered a difficult species to keep..but a lot of information is out about their care..as referred to earlier in this thread.

it does require a lot of work , some preventative treating..lots of water changes with acidic water.

there has already been reported successful breeding done and there are.. what appear to be F1 available..tho some question the actual success..

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
yes. sorry no pics at this time.
they are all doing fine..all 7 are eating well..pH is 6.4 in the QT with UV running 24/7..still trying to get it to come down more but as long as they are healthy....

they eat 3X daily small feedings and now associate me with food so they no longer run and hide.. rather they eagerly greet me at the front of the tank.. they love bloodworms and will fight over those
daily water changes to remove waste usually about 2 gallons refilled with aged water..with a large weekly change of 40% + all aged water.. i keep two 6 gal buckets with lids for them.

I'll try and snap some pics of them this evening.

countrychick

Save a horse, ride a cowboy
Feb 2, 2009
somewhere in the sticks
They are so pretty!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store