firebelly newt stopped eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vombatus

AC Members
I've had my firebelly newt for almost two years now. I feed him frozen foods: bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and glassworms. I feed him approximately every 5 days, sometimes 6, with tweezers until he swims away. We've had a good thing going. But he refused to eat yesterday (mysis shrimp) and again today (bloodworms- his favorite!). Nothing's changed in his environment. I guess I'm gonna change the filter media, that's all I can think of. He doesn't look thin at all, so I'm worried it might be some kinda bloat. :/

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I've had my firebelly newt for almost two years now. I feed him frozen foods: bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and glassworms. I feed him approximately every 5 days, sometimes 6, with tweezers until he swims away. We've had a good thing going. But he refused to eat yesterday (mysis shrimp) and again today (bloodworms- his favorite!). Nothing's changed in his environment. I guess I'm gonna change the filter media, that's all I can think of. He doesn't look thin at all, so I'm worried it might be some kinda bloat. :/
There may be a health issue, or there may not. I had this newt for many years; in fact, my original two turned out to be male/female and they bred and the last hatchling was in its 21st year when it died. It might have lived longer had it not climbed out (I didn't think it could from this enclosure and after 21 years therein) and disappeared until I found it dried up in another room under furniture.

I would suggest fewer worms and try some different foods. I had particular luck with frozen squid which you can buy in packages for marine fish. It can be broken apart into small bits, and either fed off your finger (if the newt is used to this) or on the end of a piece of broomstick. House flies are another good food; I used to whack them when they were in the window screen, just enough to stun them, and drop it in front of the newt. Small earthworms if you have a garden are also good. But go easy on worms in general as they are high fat. I also feed frozen plankton.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store