First kuhli loach!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
15?! I am so jealous! These are definitely my favorite fish so far, EVER!

I'm so glad they made it to you okay. How is the one little guy doing?
Yup, the 15 actually brought me up to 17 total. I did however find one dead last night, which sucks. As far as I can tell that is the only casualty though, but its hard to count them all up. I typically manage to find about 10 of them together, they have figured out that when I drop food in, the filter blows it to the far end of the tank, so they all head down there.

Cool video, I may try to take some pictures of mine. It's funny seeing them hanging from the plants on the driftwood in the tank. They kind of look like snakes hanging from a tree.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Very cute video. Is that a little snail cruising up to that khuli in it? It's a brave wee snail...loaches LOVE the flavor of snail. ;)

Is Madeline jealous she didn't get any facetime in this video?? :D

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
Yup, the 15 actually brought me up to 17 total. I did however find one dead last night, which sucks. As far as I can tell that is the only casualty though, but its hard to count them all up. I typically manage to find about 10 of them together, they have figured out that when I drop food in, the filter blows it to the far end of the tank, so they all head down there.

Cool video, I may try to take some pictures of mine. It's funny seeing them hanging from the plants on the driftwood in the tank. They kind of look like snakes hanging from a tree.
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost one. :( I hope that the rest will be alright! They really are funny when they hang out in the plants and driftwood!

As far as the food goes, I HATE when it blows all over the tank! My tank is so densely planted and scaped that I can't monitor things. I use feeding time to do headcounts, health inspections, and make sure that everyone is eating. I keep a spot in one of the corners of the tank clear and whatever food I put in for the loaches gets placed directly into that corner. I use a turkey baster to put worms in the corner and tongs for everything else. They are trained to that corner now, so it works wonderfully!

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
Thanks for the video compliments. I know it's not the best quality and I didn't bother to cover the background audio on that one, but I am just so addicted to filming them!

Yes, that is a tiny pond snail crawling toward the loach! I raise them (Not like it's hard or anything!) to feed the dwarf puffers that I'm finally getting this weekend. The bigger ones get baited and moved to my spare plant cuttings holding tank to make more babies and keep my display tank looking un-plagued. If you watch closely, the loach actually mouths the snail at :16 or so! I thought he might eat it, but I guess he was more interested in sifting sand!

Madeline was jealous, yes! She didn't have any room to get in the video this time because I was so close to the glass! She has recently made another appearance on my Youtube channel, though! She is at the end of the video.

[video=youtube;QPVzuJU136E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPVzuJU136E[/video]

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
Oh, and this one is TOTALLY cute! There is a little lounging spot at the top of my driftwood branches that is sometimes utilized as a place to take a break from dancing, and this one was so tired that he yawned! I melted!

(I know it's probably not actually a yawn, but don't rain on my parade.)

[video=youtube;tnZyNafBfwk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnZyNafBfwk[/video]

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Awww. He IS yawning!! They have the cutest little faces of all fish, IMO!

And for Madeline making another appearance ...
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Great videos!!! Thank you for sharing them.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
:D Very very cute!!!! The kitties show so much interest. Mine will look at my tanks..sometimes, but for the most part just see them as a source of fish flavored water. Yay for Madeline and her special co-host of the day. :clap:

It's interesting watching the Khulis go after the blackworms. I'm sure they love them but there is something about them (the blackworms) that just skeeves me out. I know they are nutritious for fish and you raise your own so you don't have to worry about parasites, but *shiver*. The main reason I turned my 10g into a shrimp instead of puffer tank was because I knew feeding the blackworms might have became an issue for me.

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
Madeline is totally enamored with the tank, but Milo doesn't understand it. He knows that Maddie likes to watch the box of water for some reason, but he just can't figure it out. He's a little slow!

I honestly thought that the blackworms would bother me more than they actually do. As soon as I got the hang of rinsing them without touching them and got myself a nice pair of stainless steel tongs, I don't even think about it any longer!

It's nice to give the kuhlis variety in their diet, and the live foods really seem to entertain them. You should give it a try. You might surprise yourself!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store