Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

First timer - SW Nano FOWLR

Discussion in 'General Marine / Newbie' started by RobMac, Jul 13, 2009.

1. RobMac

RobMac AC Members

Jul 26, 2009
    Hi all.

This is my first official thread on Sea Water tanks and this is my first ever SW tank. I decided to start small first until I have gained some experiance with this new hobby.

The tank is 24 x 12 x 15 and holds 15 gallons. The plan is to have it as a FOWLR set up. At the moment the tank has live sand and has the salt water in it. I have one pump with built in filteration system that is circulating the water but is on the surface. I will be adding a second pump this weekend that I will direct the flow with in the opposite direction and pointing down so this will hopefully give it a more chaotic flow to help feed the live rock when I introduce it to the tank.

Now, take into consideration I am new to all of this so need to be treated as a complete thicko cause I really am taking it slow. I dont want to introduce any livestock until I know all the chemistry is spot on. So now its over to you guys.

What test kits do I need to test the water with, what is it I'm looking for perameters wise for each, i.e Ph, salinity etc etc, do the kits you buy to test these chemical properties come complete or are the sold seperately for each chemical test. Like I said I am taking this very slowly and want to get it right before any livestock is added.

Many thanks for any help received:bowing:

Rob

Attached Files:

2. RobMac

RobMac AC Members

Jul 26, 2009
    Oh by the way, the artificial rock and plant will be removed when I add the live rock. They are in there purely to keep the tank looks going until the real stuff arrives ;)

3. cam191919

cam191919 AC Members

Nov 6, 2014
    api saltwater masters kit is the best for testing SW parameters, you'll need a hydrometer to test salinity

4. RobMac

RobMac AC Members

Jul 26, 2009
    Cheers for that. I know I need to get a Hydrometer but what about all the other elements, like Nitrite, Nitrate etc. I have a Ph test kit from my tropical days and the Ph is 8.6 and Nitrite is 0 but is that all I need to check? Like I said it is going to be a FOWLR. Fish types I'm looking at are Electric Blue Damsels, Clowns, Blue Tangs and the usual clean up crew of about 3 blue Hermits a couple of snails and a couple of Fire Shrimps.

Basically I'm looking at making a shopping list up for this weekend of all the stuff I need to get to sort out the water before intro to the livestock.....

5. DoctaQ

DoctaQ all your wheel are belong to us

Aug 21, 2013
    forget the hydrometer, get a refractometer instead, theyre not as expensive as everyone makes them out to be, esp if you get it online, a 30 dollar refractometer is a million times better than a ten dollar hydrometer

6. caelcynndarr

caelcynndarr AC Members

Sep 26, 2009
    You want to get the API saltwater master kit
    it has everything

you don't want the damsels or more than one fire shrimp either

the damsels will pick the others apart
    and the fire shrimp will kill each other

if you are going to get a damsel add it at the very last no sooner
    otherwise it will establish more than minimal territory and attack eveything

and honestly i would rethink the tangs
    they are known to be "cruisers" and they love love love long tanks

i was scolded seriously on another board for even thinking about putting a YELLOW tang in anything shorter than six feet long.

7. RobMac

RobMac AC Members

Jul 26, 2009
    A refractometer....ok. I take it these things can be used over and over again?.....told you I was a bit of a thicko:p:

8. caelcynndarr

caelcynndarr AC Members

Sep 26, 2009

+1

but if you are in a hurry to get everything up to (general) par then get the hydrometer and return it once you get the refractometer.

there is no limit on how often or how much these can be used
    refractometers are way more accurate and use less water

#8 caelcynndarr, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  9. DoctaQ

DoctaQ all your wheel are belong to us

Aug 21, 2013
    yeah the refractometer is kinda like a little microscopey telescopey thing that you just put a little water on and look through to see your sg

10. RobMac

RobMac AC Members

Jul 26, 2009
    Now this is the sort of advise I'm looking at. Thanks for that, you've just saved me a lot of cash.

I was thinking about the clean up crew. Am I right in thinking their is no point in adding the clean up crew first because in my opinion, with it being a new tank, their will not be much to clean up really and they might starv? Is that the right thing to be thinking?