Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Fish that are NOT reef safe...

Discussion in 'Marine Reef Keeping' started by OrionGirl, May 5, 2004.

1. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    Feb 22, 2015
    Thought this list might be useful. Post a fish or critter that might be considered reef safe, especially if you have specific experience with the animal in question. Do list why you consider the animal a threat to a reef setup. For example, no need to list clown triggers or parrot fish, but some of the larger angels can work under some circumstances. This is for the borderline cases.

Camel shrimp--target polyps and zoanthids. Leave sponges and other motile inverts alone.

Engineer goby--digs tunnels under rock work and can easily topple live rock and corals. Tends to bury sessile invertebrates that are on the sand bed or lower portions of the tank. If live rock is on a stable platform, can be accomodated.

Large hermit crabs--tend to knock over corals and rocks, can kill a fish that's ailing.

Octopus--safe with sessile inverts, but primary predator on motile inverts and small fish.

2. RothChyld

RothChyld AC Members

IT Manager
    Dec 4, 2008
    I can sure make this a long post but here are some hilights that stand out:

Maroon clown - reef safe but loves to topple rocks and corals around its home. If I had to do it over I wouldn't get this guy as he gets too big and moves big things.

Clown Wrasse - Ate my snails when he felt like it. Left corals alone.

Fish in my reef that are good IMHO: Green Chromis, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny (a must), Sandsifting Goby (a must), blue tangs, yellow tangs, Mandarin (only in established tank), and Bar Gobies.

Mike

3. liquafaction

liquafaction AC Members

Aug 27, 2004
    Hermits- Even the small ones, attack any snail in my tank they can get there little claws on.

convict blenny- Pretty harmles, but will tunnel out live sand, undtill everything caves in.

Little gold damsel (can't remember name) tormented my big naso tang untill it died. I even tried to catch it, and relocate it (damsel), but that booger figured that game out quick, and made it even more agressive.

4. FISH

FISH AC Members

Oct 22, 2004
    My going on 7 years old Queen Angel is in my SPS tank . It will eat soft corals but it's fine with the SPS.
    There are a few zoanthids in hard to reach areas that it can't reach.
    Also it won't eat shrooms, which I wish it would :)

http://community.webtv.net/MarkPelski/INTHEWALL120GAL

5. zog

zog AC Members

Apr 5, 2005
    I have a maroon clownfish that moved into my pulse coral as though it were an anemone, but after several days it began to violently tear off the polyps. I have relocated the clownfish to my FOWLR tank. I have also noticed that large adult Mexican Turbo snails can be quite destructive and annoying by pushing things around and knocking corals over.

6. CHIMERA26

CHIMERA26 AC Members

May 12, 2005
    Solandri Puffer Made Mistake Lfs Said Would Be Ok With My Shrimp And Crustaceans Within 4 Days Had Munched Over Half The Population Of Them

7. Lexus9903

Lexus9903 AC Members

Mar 31, 2005
    Coral Beauty

My coral beauty has a taste for polyps and also mushrooms.. Hes so territorial, he (the same as the maroon clowns discussed earlier) will destroy anything that is in "his" space.

lexi

8. pumpkin

pumpkin Registered Member

Apr 3, 2005
    had a maroon clown that push anything he didn't like away from his house and some of the rocks were quite large he was very persistent and my sally lites as they grow are showing a taste for my hairy shrooms

9. DansMarineTank

DansMarineTank This ship is England!

DBA
    Apr 24, 2008
    Hi Guys

I think we can add Lionfish to this list for a couple of reasons

1. They dont get on too well with bright lights, i think drawf lions can go blind under halides
    2. They create a grate deal of waste - corals dont like poop!

Apart from this they are great fish! non aggresive majestic swimmers, very attractive

10. Bigwerty

Bigwerty Registered Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Hi,
    I had maroon clowns and one of them killed 3 anemones in my aquarium by pulling out their tentacles. So...
    chernyakvadym@hotmail.com