Fish that are NOT reef safe...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darkbaron1192

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
I typically never listen to the LFS people. I actually work at a LFS heh. Though I may try to spread correct information, its not unusual that LFS employees dont even have a freshwater tank. I typically go to a store, look at the animal I am interested in, come home and do research on it. (marinedepot.com, fishbase.org, etc) Once I find out a sufficient amount of information, I go out and decide whether I want it or not. =)

"No fish is reef-safe until you do your homework."

Try getting a mandarin to eat in an unestablished aquarium. Theres a headache I avoided after being told it was a great starter fish.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
heres a list

not reef safe: (eather eat fish or corals)
lionfish,most eels,frogfish,octopuses,mantis shrimp,decorator crabs,jellyfish, majority of wrasse,sharks, filefish, triggers, most butterflys, lobsters, and "green death" brittle star.

Borderline:
underfed tangs and angels, emerald crabs, large hermits, conchs,sea apples,sponges, coral banded shrimp, arrow crabs, ribbon eels, sea horses and like species(dont fare well with stinging corals and competition), and any underfed or unproperly suplimented fish(they resort to your corals and invertebrates).

USCavalry19d

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
Lexington, ky
I find the Copperband Butterfly to be reef safe even though everything advises against it. had one for about a year until it died while i was on vacation. Only problem with these fish is that its hard to get them to eat when first brought home to your tank. also most LFS dont know that you cant net them and do so anyways. So if anyone ever decides to get one i hope this tip helps. Dont net the fish.

takeaction

oz reefing
May 16, 2007
Gold Coast Australia
I don't think anyones mentioned the Deep Sea Racing Mullet yet. this fish is definetly not reef safe, can cause a whirlpool effect in your tank if provoked.
WATCH OUT!!!

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
copperband butterfly is not reef safe, sorry. mine was attacking the clam and grabbing tips of its mantles, hard. also ate all of my feather dusters. once in a while he was picking on the tips of xenia.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Parrotfish.... unless your intention is to have them live in their natural habitat where they munch on corals.

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
yeah my paor of maroon clowns only knock down coral if i place it near there anemome. Off self experience bi-colour angelfish, koran angelfish, coral beautys and blue face angelfish are all reef safe. my zebra eel is also ok my my red banded coral shrimp, actually my shrimp trys to bully him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store