Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Goldfish behavior issue

Discussion in 'General Cold & Temperate Water' started by Somervell, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Somervell

Somervell AC Members

Mar 29, 2015
    I have a behavior issue for which I could use clarification from all of those goldfish enthusiasts out there!

I have a 60 gallon planted tank with three fancies in it ( One oranda(male, I think), one fantail (male for sure) and one panda moor with a cataract (female for sure) The Moor and the fantail are both 5 years old. The oranda is a teenager ( I am estimating about 8-9 months.)

The problem is this. The oranda is very aggressive with the older fish. As a result, the moor turns over on her back and goes "flippy fish" every time I put her in with the oranda. When I remove her to a hospital tank, she is fine, swims completely upright, and acts normal. My guess is that the teenager is exhibiting spawning behavior, and the moor has had about enough of it. It is also possible that she feeds more efficiently upside down and is more comfortable that way when she has to compete for food.

Should I remove the oranda? (I can switch out fish. I have another 60 gallon with a different female, male ratio, but that would give me two aggressive males in a 60 gallon with a red female telescope.)

I am reluctant to post this inquiry, with trepidation that I will get a response telling me that 20 gallons/fancy is inadequate space. While the issue may be territorial, there were no problems before the introduction of the blue oranda. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. kelly82

kelly82 AC Members

Stay at home mum until the next job comes along
    Jan 15, 2012
    i feel 20g per fish is more than fine, i run at 20 for the 1st fancy plus 10 for each added after that, as long as water tests come back ok and filtration/maintenance is kept up with. can you not do a male tank, and a female tank? i wouldnt leave 2 amorous males with a delicate fancy such as a telescope personally :)

3. Somervell

Somervell AC Members

Mar 29, 2015
    Sorry for the late reply, Kelly, but I appreciate your responding to the question. I've been off for a while. I have tried "sororities" and "Fraternities." The fraternities ( much as in real life) got a little wilder than they should and someone ended up getting hurt. Problem seems to have temporarily abated, as when I returned the telescope to her original tank, the fantail has started acting like a "guide fish" and she seems to have fewer problems. They're all kind of hanging out right now, so maybe junior finally got the picture! :)

4. jenricae

jenricae AC Members

Mar 19, 2015
    Just curious, how can you tell if they are male or female when purchasing them?