Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

HELP! 40 gallon planted community tank

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by koi18, Feb 21, 2012.

1. koi18

koi18 AC Members

Oct 30, 2012
    i just started a 40 gal planted fish tank yesterday and i want it to be a community tank.

i've bought 14 pink zebras to help with the cycle. now my question is:

if these fishes survive the cycle what other fish should i put in the community?

i was thinking of putting in neon tetras and a male and female beta.

any suggestions and advices will be much appreciated. thanks!c:

2. rufioman

rufioman "That guy"

Student/Hospitality worker.
    Today at 3:34 AM
    You put fish in there without it being cycled? If there's no established bacteria in there those fish will probably die. My advice is rehome the fish and try to get your tank going otherwise. You can get some established media from someone in your community or cycle it the manual way. Good luck.

:cheers:

3. To3kn33

To3kn33 AC Members

Deputy Manager Learning disabilities care home
    May 7, 2014
    +1 or be prepared to go atleast 50% water changes daily. You got a test kit? I did the same with my tank when I first got it..... But I have learnt all I know off here so good luck!
    Tony

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4. constevens

constevens AC Members

Computer tech and past automotive repair, and work
    May 9, 2015

Not everyone does fishless Cycles. I dont and havent in 33 years of the hobby. You cant tell someone their fish are going to die just because the tank is cycled. I havent lost any fish to a cycle of a tank in more then 20 years. Not being rude. Just saying.

To the OP. You will need 2 test kits. The ones I recommend are from API. They are liquid test. You will want Ammonia and Nitrite tests. I would recommend to test the water a couple to 3 times a week. Start off with Ammonia as it will be the first to show. Watch as it rises some. Dont let it get to high. If you get to 1.0 on the test do a 50% water change. Keep watching the Ammonia. You should also at this time test for Nitrite. you should see Ammonia go down to nothing as well as start to see the Nitrite rise. Again dont let it get to high. See it get to 1.0 do 50% water change. Once the Nitrites gone your good to go. What do you have for filtration? Also if your doing live plants adding as many live plants as possible can help with a cycle. Even plants help in the creation of the bacteria as well as they will consume Ammonia.

As far as your fish. I would to add fish only after it cycles. Then go for small groups of schooling fish as well as some nice dwarf cory cats, and dwarf family of pleco like the Bristle nose. You can put a betta in. BUT probably not more then one. Not even a male and female. Most cases they dont do well with each other.

If your doing the live plants and want them to be successful you need to normally have specifc plants for specific light, fert and substrate needs. Or you need to add the specifics of better light, fertilization and a proper substrate for them to grow.

Of course you may already know all this but its all basics of the planted tank and fish in general.

5. koi18

koi18 AC Members

Oct 30, 2012
    Thanks for your reply guys! :)

To answer your question regarding my filter, i've got a precision PF-850 power filter.

i initially bought 4 zebra danios to help start the cycle of my 40gal, but because of my dad who was constantly bugging me(in his defense, he doesn't know anything about the cycle and he told me he wants to see fish in my big tank) i bought 10 more zebras. now my problem is: i know i'm gonna have HUGE ammonia and nitrite spikes in these coming days and i know i'm gonna lose fish :( even if they're cheap i don't wanna dead fish. i don't also have the testing kit coz it costs TOO much here. i DO have a PH testing kit.

i figure that i need to do constant water changes (40-50%) almost everyday or every 3 days to ensure that the fish survives(this is what i did with my other tanks which now is cycled completely and have fish living).

my other question is: if all the 14 danios survive the cycle, what fish types should i put in with them? or is my tank right now overstocked?

thanks again guys!

6. Sunn

Sunn AC Members

Jun 3, 2012
    personally i think people are a bit overcritical about fish-in cycling. i did a fish-in cycle on my 20g with some black neon tetras and they were totally fine..you just have to keep up with changing the water. but 14 fish is another story, you're gonna have to change a lot of water on that..

7. cicrush13

cicrush13 AC Members

Sales
    May 5, 2015
    +1 to that. I've done it both ways but you can't always predict that someone's fish is going to die in a cycle.

14 fish seems like a lot so this can change how quickly the cycle goes. I would be prepared for some ammonia very quickly.

Now to answer your question, when you say pink zebra danios do you mean the red/pink glo-fish?

To your stock plan if you keep the pink danios, I would not put neons or bettas in with them as they are very very very very active and are notorious fin nippers.

I'm not sure what 40 gallon tank you are talking about either. Is it a 40 high, 40 long (breeder)?

If you want a planted community based on neons, I would look to add cory catfish (at least 6-8 of them since they school as well) and maybe a pair of blue rams or gold rams to help contrast the neons.

What do you have for substrate and for lighting for the plants?
    Any thoughts on what plants you might want to keep?

Sorry for all the questions, but I love a good planted tank (guilty of 2 60 gallons myself).

8. SMinNC

SMinNC What you give

Mar 28, 2012
    Something simple you can do, since you have other tanks already...
    Get a media bag.
    Fill it with some substrate(gravel?) from one or both of your established(cycled) tanks.
    Put somewhere in your new tank.(lay it right on top of your substrate in the 40).

Then when the cycle is done, you can remove the bag and empty it back into the tank it came from.
    OR
    If you have the same substrate in both tanks. Just add some from the cycled tank, to the new one. And just leave it since it's the same.
    Just to add... if you have the "perfect" amount of substrate in your cycled tank. And just can stand to loose any. First, take some out of the new tank. Then some out of the cycled tank. Then switch which tank each goes into.
    This is so you don't end up taking back half of what you just put in.

9. koi18

koi18 AC Members

Oct 30, 2012
    THANKS GUYS!

10. koi18

koi18 AC Members

Oct 30, 2012

nice! but i can't do this because my other tanks are smaller.. this is my first time doing a big tank.... thanks for your reply, i appreciate it a lot..