Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Help . . . Nudibranch (or Slug) ID and Question

Discussion in 'Marine Invertebrates' started by spiker_man, Sep 3, 2011.

1. spiker_man

spiker_man Registered Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Was checking out my reef tank like I do every evening and saw what looked like a piece of dying coral on some live rock. Looked closer and saw that it was moving. Dang . . . I've got a nudibranch (or maybe some type of slug). Thought it would be so easy to identify . . . I didn't realize how many there are. Any one have any experience with them? What do they eat?

Here's some background on my tank. It's been up and running for almost 2 years. I've got live rock, inverts, fish, etc. Evidently he (or she) hitch-hiked in on some live rock or coral. I haven't added any live rock or corals to the tank in about 3-4 months. Everything I've read says that nudibranchs are short-lived and will probably starve in an aquarium. That may be so, but this thing had to come from somewhere and she's definitely been in the tank for a while. She doesn't look like she's starving to me. So what is she eating???

As the image shows, she's white with small bumpy protrusions. She's about 2-3" long and maybe 1/2-3/4" of an inch wide.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

nudibranch-3.jpg

nudibranch-2.jpg

2. Arakkis

Arakkis AC Members

Apr 13, 2012
    yes that's a nudi.. dunno if that's a sponge eater or a coral eater.. it's not a lettuce nudi or bhergia..those are the two i'd only let in my tank
    take it out anyways.
    When in doubt, take it out

#2 Arakkis, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. Khemul

Khemul Sea Bunny

Nov 23, 2014
    Tritoniopsis elegans maybe?

If so, removal would probably be a good idea.

4. Arakkis

Arakkis AC Members

Apr 13, 2012
    I think you're right.. found this excerpt about them:
    "It was fascinating to see them lay eggs, have them hatch and then observe the babies crawling on the glass. The fascination ended when my largest soft coral started to decline and then completely disappeared"

5. thakur80

thakur80 Registered Member

Nov 12, 2011
    hi Monika thakur
    This is definitely a nice post. Great works. Really inspiring. Thanks for sharing with all of us.Keep posting more.
    It really helps me. Thanks.....

international freight shipping