Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Help! Oranda has lost her equilibrium

Discussion in 'Coldwater Illness and Disease' started by jenricae, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jenricae

jenricae AC Members

Mar 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I have an Oranda that has lost her ability to stay upright and swim. She was healthy and great last night when i fed them, but was upside down and at the top when i awoke this morning. What can I do to help her?
    Thanks!

2. jenricae

jenricae AC Members

Mar 19, 2015
    I should mention that she's in a healthy tank with lots of filtration and shares it with a couple of other Orandas. Both are doing great. She's doing slightly better - still having issues with balance though.

3. jenricae

jenricae AC Members

Mar 19, 2015
    Update: She seems all fine now. Weird. Does anyone know what could cause this?

4. Kashta

Kashta Always Niko's fault.....

Professional
    Aug 16, 2014
    Orandas like others fancies were bred to a compacted body form that limits the amount of room available for their internal organs. That means they invariably have issues with digestion and it doesn't take much for their air sac to become displaced.

Most of the time when they tilt like that it's a common case of constipation. Make sure you are feeding them a diet lower in proteins and higher in veggies than is provided by most goldfish foods.

Offering blanched veggies regularly goes a long way to help with this... zucchini, leafy greens, squash, cucumbers, green beans, etc.

Next time this happens the first thing you need to do is fast the fish for 3 days, then offer peas. Regular canned (rinsed) or frozen (defrosted) peas will suffice. You just need to squeeze each one to pop each pea out of the skin first.

5. jenricae

jenricae AC Members

Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks! How often should i be feeding veggies? daily?