Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

HELP RED EYE TETRA HAS THIS GROWTH GROWING OUT OF ITS GILL!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by platytetrafan, Dec 14, 2008.

1. platytetrafan

platytetrafan AC Members

Registered Certified Oncology Nurse
    Jan 22, 2015
    I want to post a pic of him but am having trouble uploading the pic. All I can say is the fish has this growth growing out of its gill :eek3:. He is active and eating swim around.I have no idea what this is he has been fine and now this I don't want to euthanize him as yet is just so hard to do that.

All my other fish are fine he is in my 36g which has good water parameters nitrate is 10, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and ph 6.0. I am actually going to do a wc in a few minutes the tank is due to have one. I don't have a QT tank the one I was trying to use a while ago was ridiculous was only a 2.5g tank which is now a betta tank.

I have no glue what to do and am very frustrated because everytime I try to upload a pic to a thread lately it takes forever to upload. The growth looks like a tumor and he is getting another one on the other side. Poor guy is so weird because all my other fish are fine and so was he until now. My other red eye T's are fine. Any help is appreciated wish I could I post a pic to show you.:wall:

2. platytetrafan

platytetrafan AC Members

Jan 22, 2015
    HELP anyone :( ?

3. platytetrafan

platytetrafan AC Members

Jan 22, 2015
    Guess I will just have to wait it out and see what happens I have no QT and have no clue what this is to even try to treat it. Thanks anyway.

4. jm1212

jm1212 Pterophyllum scalare

May 22, 2015
    could be gill flukes

5. Bubbles2112

Bubbles2112 Is someone behind me???

Mar 23, 2015
    Picture would help greatly. I'm sorry about your tetra...

6. platytetrafan

platytetrafan AC Members

Jan 22, 2015
    Finally posted some pics of this fish

Here is the best pics I can get of him or her not sure what sex the fish is. Not sure what this is coming out of it's gill.

Attached Files:

7. rich311k

rich311k AC Members

IT Manager
    Oct 6, 2014
    Is it a mass? Looks like a tumor or cyst to me.

8. platytetrafan

platytetrafan AC Members

Jan 22, 2015
    I don't know what it is lol I am a nurse and it looks like a cyst or tumor. :huh:The fish is active does not show any signs of labored breathing and is eating too. Not sure what to do I don't have a QT and to tell the truth I am awful at diagnosing fish diseases.

When I have had a sick fish in the past and tried to diagnose and treat the fish it never helped and the fish died anyway. I am at a loss to what this is. My other fish do not exhibit his symptoms this popped out out of the blue the fish was fine up until a week ago and then I noticed this. He is such a beautiful red eye tetra I feel bad for him :(. My water parameters are fine I did a wc too on Monday this is just baffling to me.

9. rich311k

rich311k AC Members

IT Manager
    Oct 6, 2014
    I would say it what it appears some kind of tumor. I think all you can do is watch and hope he is alright with it. If he starts t suffer I would put him down as long as he is eating and swimming I would just let it be.

10. rocker92

rocker92 Shine On You Crazy Diamond

PITA
    Feb 2, 2013
    i agree^^^^^^