Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Hillstream tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Bottom Dwellers' started by sora1600, Jan 21, 2012.

1. sora1600

Well I decided to add stiphodons to my tank so it is not a only loach tank anymore (thread of the loaches: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?254878-Hillstream-loach-tank-questions). I ordered a few stiphodon perc. a few days ago but the shipment was delayed for 6 days and 4 of the 6 stiphodons ended up dead. Going to re-order some more. The only surviving was a pair. Was bummed that the others didn't make it. Here are 2 photos of the surviving pair (very bad quality as I was in a rush coming back from work) in qt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FTS (a lot of brown algae on the glass wall but haven't done WC yet; will clean it tomorrow; suction cups are annoying...I gave up):
    [​IMG]
    A gastromyzon:
    [​IMG]

Anyways, the stiphodons are very small. I'm quite surprise by the size even though I knew they were going to be this small. I hope the stiphodons survive qt.

2. petluvr

petluvr AC Members

mgr of local pizza hut
    I am SO jealous of this tank :)

3. sora1600

Thanks :). I'm loving how the tank is turning out. Not great like other members' tanks on here but enough for me.

Will be getting my s. perc. replacements sometime next week.

Forgot to mention tank:
    23 gallons
    - Eheim 2215 filter
    - Hydor koralia 240 and 425 GPH powerheads
    - 40 watts of light
    - once or twice weekly dose of ferts
    - 30% to 40% weekly WC (sometimes twice)
    - root tabs for my lotus, crypt, and vals

4. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Stay-at-home Dad! (I taught High School English in
    Ugh. That sucks about the Stiphs. Hopefully the last 2 make it. Try feeding them some of that gel food I sent you. Inka's Percs eat that really well, as do my semoni (who are also sometimes tough to feed).

5. sora1600

Yea I was planing to try the gel food on them today. My loaches do love it now too. They didn't in the beginning. Hopefully the new perc. replacements don't get stuck in the mail again. First time an order of live fish took 6 days to get here.

6. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Let me know if they like it. I have a whole canister of it I might let go of pretty cheaply. I think I'll move to the Repashy; I try to keep a gluten-free kitchen, so the Repashy will be much easier for me to handle than the Mazuri.

7. sora1600

Haha I'm also trying the repashy. I'll see which one they like better and let you know if I decide to get the Mazuri instead.

8. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

That's too bad about the goby losses, the 2 survivors are little cuties. Good luck with the replacements, I look forward to more pics.

9. sora1600

Yea I was bummed when I saw they were dead. I should get the replacements sometime this week and will try to get pictures if I can. I was looking at the two survivors in the qt tank and they swim funky. Haha. I'm just a little worried they will get stuck in my koralia powerheads when I move them into the main tank as it looks like they can fit in some areas of the powerhead.

10. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

I used the plastic mesh onions come in to loach-proof my powerheads after a bad experience.

11. sora1600

I would use mesh but I don't want stuff to clog the koralias so that it doesn't stir/push it to the filter. I'll see what mesh I can find if I decide to ignore the stuff that may get onto the koralia.

12. sora1600

Male perc. keeps on hiding. I see it once in awhile. Always see the female though. New percs. should be here before or on Saturday if they don't get delay again. Alpha gastromyzon is being very mean to everyone. Chases even the sewellias when they get on his rock. Everything looks well so far. Still have to find some mesh for the powerheads when I am off school and work on Sunday. Nerite snails are laying too many eggs on driftwood, rocks, filter, powerheads, and even the glass walls.

Wow, just saw two sewellias try to fight the alpha. Fat alpha gastromyzon stuck in the middle.

13. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

14. sora1600

Thanks for the link! I remember I read part of the article but will fully look at it tomorrow or when I have time.

15. sora1600

Received my babies today:). They all made it but not sure how many males and females I have as they are still acclimating in the bucket...Photos of them in the red bucket.

DSC_0541.jpg
    DSC_0540-1.jpg
    DSC_0539-1.jpg

For some odd reason when I took the photos, all the gastromyzons were hiding and the sewellias went crazy. Not sure what happened but it was just weird. The suction cups keep coming off on my input so the gastromyzons hide behind it.

DSC_0437-1.jpg
    DSC_0438.jpg
    DSC_0446-1.jpg
    DSC_0463-1.jpg
    DSC_0472-1.jpg
    DSC_0537-1.jpg

FTS (ignore the brown algae on glass; it's for the snails):
    DSC_0505-1.jpg

16. sora1600

Video

I have 3 female and 5 male percs. So far, doing well in the qt tanks.

Just a video of my fat alpha gastromyzon and sewellia. The sewellia always loses then tries another day to be the top loach in the tank (sorry for the brightness and no noise as my dog was barking).
    [video=youtube;dZDeL7l38XM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZDeL7l38XM&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

17. Rbishop

Rbishop The glistening drop....
    Staff Member

Production Manager
    Great looking fishies!

18. sora1600

Thanks!

Well I think I lost a male. Can't find it in the qt tank. Still have 7 (4 males and 3 females) perc left. Tried the Repashy food but the loaches are the ones eating it so far. The percs. look to be only grazing on the algae.

Took out the tiger lotus and nerite snails. Might get some assassin snails to eat the ramshorn snails so I don't have to pick them out. Not a big issue though.

19. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Loaches lookin' good, I was going to ask if those were nerite eggs, I guess so. Fingers crossed your missing perc is just a really good hider.

20. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Is your QT tank as mature algae/biofilm-wise as your display?
    That cteno is sweet, btw!