How do I get algae off the glass without emptying the tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Soupysteve

Apathetic Master
Aug 24, 2008
Ozarks - Springfield, Mo
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Stephen Hess
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy 7 Active
... mag float? Really, I don't think I'd have stayed in the saltwater hobby without one. No mess involved at all - and sometimes guests at my house have more fun playing with the mag float than they do looking at the inside of the tank.
I am sure some stoner who didn't like to get his/her hands wet came up with the idea. There are many brands and sizes...

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
If it is too much for a mag-floater then I suggest a plain old razor blade, like others have suggested.

I have big arms also, so I just do it during the middle of a water change. I own one of the scrapers with the blue/green scrubby stuff on the end. but it doesn't work well. I handle would be cool, but I have not had to break out a razor in a while.

Once you get caught up, then the mag floater will work just fine for upkeep.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
Ah. Thanks for the info! I was concerned about the scratching with a blade but seems like it's not a problem! :)
Oh, but it is a problem. You need to be "very" careful when using a blade - the glass will scratch.

I have used a MagFloat algae scraper and wow it does a great job. I had the basic algae and also the dark green spot algae that's a little tougher to remove. The MagFloat cleaned it all - you do need to be patient, but it has taken all the algae out of my tank - I love it - here's a related thread.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Get Nerite snails, if you can get 1 per gallon, you'll probably have no algae by the end of the week and no more scrubbing....ever. The don't eat healthy plants and they can't reproduce in FW.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I was going to say nerite snails too! They are really sweet. I have four in a 10 gallon and I have to supplement them with algae wafers as they clean so well I am concerned that they won't have enough to eat!

uglyfido

The ugliest of fido's.
Apr 10, 2006
Port Orchard, WA
Not to steal a post, but do most LFS's carry these nerite snails? I've never heard of them but I am starting to get some serious algae in my tank and this sounds like a great idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store