Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

How to get african cichlids to grow quickly

Discussion in 'African Rift Lake Cichlids' started by CornBreadjiffy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. CornBreadjiffy

CornBreadjiffy AC Members

Mar 20, 2014
    I am trying to find out ways or methods to get my juvies to a descent size in about 3 months. Any help or remedies that work will be appreciated. Please nothing that you have heard of or thing that might work because not tryin to kill them just getting them a bigger before i move and it gets cold. Thanks to all.

2. Rollinondubz200

Rollinondubz200 rollinondubz2002

computer tech
    Apr 23, 2012
    i feed my juvies New life Spectrum 3 times a day .it has goten them to go into a growth spurt when i changed to that food.

3. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Graduate student
    Apr 26, 2015
    Which species..."african cichlids" is a broad category...

4. CornBreadjiffy

CornBreadjiffy AC Members

Mar 20, 2014
    Malawi, mbunas, kenyis, pea, and zebras

5. ibr3ak

ibr3ak I Eat Fish

Dec 31, 2009
    Good diet, warmer temps and frequent water changes. A good size grow out tank helps as well.

6. Mr.peacock

Mr.peacock AC Members

Mar 3, 2012
    i keep a flat bottom tank with a bigger filter for current feed three times a day and a 10 percent water changes ever 3 days and my fry grows super fast

7. Coler

Coler AC Members

Apr 24, 2013
    That's pretty much it. I like New Life Spectrum as feed myself - plus some fresh veggies (courgette in particular). Keeping nitrates below 20 ppm is key imo.

8. myswtsins

myswtsins AC Members

Aug 6, 2014
    What they said! I can definitely attest to a bigger tank helping too. I had to hold one batch of fry in a breeder net while waiting for my dividers to come and the difference at 3 weeks between them and the ones that had the whole tank is significant. And since I moved them to the grow out tank they are just growing like crazy! Comparing albino socolofi & red zebra OBs so very similar fish.

I fed brine shrimp, algae wafer bits & finely crushed veggie flake for the 1st 2 weeks. Then I started giving them fresh veggies, NLS growth & Kens veggie sticks w/ Calcium. At 5 weeks my bigger albinos are just under 1". I did not raise the temp though because I hear that shortens their life expectancy. Good luck!

9. Pittbull

Pittbull ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS

Sgt. Law Enforcement / Task Force 15 YRS
    Jun 11, 2014
    Also to agree with above really the main ingredient is water changes daily and enough space and a steady temp that isnt too cold..

3x a day for feeding..