Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

I need a list of beginner books

Discussion in 'Freshwater Archives' started by Dale W., Feb 8, 2003.

1. Dale W.

Dale W. Formerly known as "Reefscape"

Reefsystems set-up, analysis, and maintenance
    Jun 14, 2013
    I did this in the marine section but I would like a good list of books on FW aquariums that I can put in the archives for future use.

Please list the book title, Authers, and a brief description of the book. I am going to post this same message in the GFW section so I would like the list to be split up between advanced books and beginner books. Beginner books being listed here.

Thanks

2. RTR

RTR AC Members

Analyst
    Oct 17, 2006
    The single best IMHO is unfortunately out of print, but may be available in used/second-hand shops:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freshwater Aquariums, Mike Wickham, Alpha Books, New York, NY. ISBN 0-87605-327-4

I don't agree with everything there, but overall it is quite good.

3. Matak

Matak Out of the blue!

Anything to do with trowels
    Mar 19, 2015
    Setting Up a Freshwater Aquarium
    Gregory Skomal

A good small hardcover text by Gregory Skomal who is a respected marine biologist and author of many FW and SW books. This 126 page book will help the new fishkeeper steer clear of most of the usual pitfalls. It has many good pics and covers all the topics a beginner should know. This book even lists Aquaria Central as the first of it's recommended web sites. The best part of this book is its "Fish to avoid as beginers" section. The only thing I might add to this book is information on Fishless Cycling.

Setting Up a Freshwater Aquarium
    Gregory Skomal
    $12.95 US
    $17.95 Can
    **** (out of a possible *****)

#3 Matak, Feb 8, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2003
  4. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    Feb 22, 2015
    Do you want specie specific books? Or would those be advanced?

5. ChilDawg

ChilDawg Math is sexy.

Professor at Ill. State U.
    Aug 8, 2014
    RTR, rumor has it that the Complete Idiot's guide will be re-released by a new publisher under a new, less-insulting name. It said that in one of his [Mike Wickham, the author's] column bios for AFM. Since he started Pleco Press, I believe that the book may be found there soon...keep an eye out.

6. ChilDawg

ChilDawg Math is sexy.

Professor at Ill. State U.
    Aug 8, 2014
    Dick Mills is the man as far as I am concerned. You and Your Aquarium has some old info, but it is a good book for the beginning hobbyist (and for the usual beginning fish). His newer effort with DK is my bible for fish info, but I also have John Dawes' Complete Encyclopedia of the Freshwater Aquarium as a back-up (and the Species Profiles on aquariacentral!) For the best beginners species-specific books, I like the TFH books oft-called "The complete guide to owning...", and the "An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet" series by Howell Book House. Barron's also has some borderline-advanced species specific ones, but their Betta book, which I wish I could find at home, may well have been more helpful than the ones by Ostrow and Wolfsheimer (no slouches when it comes to fishkeeping, and Betta-keeping in particular!!!) I would read any introduction to species by any of the old masters (Axelrod, Wolfsheimer, Ostrow, Dick Mills, Dick Stratton, etc.) I would also recommend the "Aquarium Owner's Guide" by Gina Sandford. Of course, you don't have to buy all the books which I would...I have spent literally hundreds and possibly $1000+ on them, but it may not be a bad idea to invest in a few of these!

7. Dale W.

Dale W. Formerly known as "Reefscape"

Reefsystems set-up, analysis, and maintenance
    Jun 14, 2013
    Orion, Species specifics can probably go under both headings so I will leave it up to you as far as the material within the book as to which group you want to put it in or just put it in both. :D

8. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    Feb 22, 2015
    Killifish, A Complete Pet Owner's Manual, from Barron's publishing is an excellent reference for killifish, and covers enough for all levels. I'm not sure it's still in print--I had to search abit to get mine.

9. val

val .

Real Estate Agent
    Dec 13, 2013
    Here's a couple...

Peter Scott -- The Complete Aquarium. Hardback, very nicely illustrated, will actually show how to set up numerous biotope aquariums. I got this and the first Amano book within days of each other, yet I kept coming back to this one because it is more inspiring in that the tanks are attainable, Amano's are not.

Scott Brodie -- Confessions of a Fish Doctor Unfortunately out of print, yet can still be found on-line. Best book by far. Very readable in that it explains the differences between the major species of fish, and yet it offers several old-school methods of treating fish and growing plants. Helped me to understand that fish have personality and that one of the reasons people get out of fishkeeping is that they don't pick fish to match their personality. A valid point. I mean, how many dog people would dare have a cat and how many cat people would deign to have a dog, and yet people buy fish with only the regard as to how they'll look....

Val

10. JeffP

JeffP AC Members

Engineer
    Oct 13, 2006