Ich withstanding higher than recommended salinity??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petefan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Hello everyone, this is my first post!!

Back to the subject, I have a 1,010 gallon (4000 liters) tank with 50ish central american cichlids and tilapia (Oreochromis hybrids) and 2 Oscars(Sorry for the salinity but they are doing great at the moment except for the ich). Yep I did the research and they can live in brackish water. The tank is fairly new (about 1 week old), the sump filtration and canister have been cycled for appox. one month with live shrimps (still alive and breeding@5.2 salinity). At first I was thinking oh well the parasites' gonna die off cuz of the osmotic pressure so didn't really do anything except watching the fish pretty much all day long, now I've seen more and more white spots on my fish though they are still very active and eating etc, well, at least most of them, some prolly was hiding due to stress or ich and I couln't see them if I didn't go check out the caves with a flashlight. The source of the ich protazoa doesn't really matter, the point is...the water is at SG 1.006 manually tested and the conductivity is showing 5.2 (PPT, 0.52%). Has anyone actually successfully eradicated ich just by raising the temp to around 88 F (31 C) and with dosed salt recommended online and elsewhere - 0.05%?? I am thinking maybe it's time I use some meds but the tank is a bit too large and these meds are gonna cost a fortune plus I am afraid the damage the meds might do to some very young fingerlings. I know wrong water chemistry parameters will stress the fish (i.e. Oscars) and then compromise the immune system, but the question is...why the ich is getting worse if they are supposed to die in this salinity?

Thank you in advance for your inputs!

Current water parameters - pH 7.48, salinity 5.2, temp 29 C (84 F), ORP 412, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, GH 18d, KH 8d.

Last edited:

petefan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Just checked the sticky white spot disease section, it recommends 0.1-0.3%. Well my tank was at 0.52% from day 1 and it was like only three fish was infected now day 7, more than half are carrying these white spots, so I guess the ich I am dealing with is somewhat salt-tolerant. Side note: these fish were originally kept in zero (or so) salinity freshwater with only 1 or 2 fish showing on and off white spots so the ich should probably be freshwater and didn't have a chance to get acclimatized to brackish water; while I was building the new tank, which took me about two weeks, I gradually increased the salinity of the temporary water-holding bathtubs to 5.0 (0.5%). Well I don't know, can ich evolve so quickly? :(

petefan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Thank you so much I didn't know some strain can stand up to 5 ppt, conceivable but didn't think of it. and things get more interesting "two new species of bacteria living symbiotically inside Ichthyophthirius" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2786411/ a parasite feeding on a parasite feeding on fish...maybe tetracycline will work! nah not gonna try that on my fish (don't know the dose) but good to know biology is complicated! speaking of antibiotics, does anyone know if metronidazole/Flagyl can be used to treat this protazoa? At the moment I think I am gonna keep them at 5.2 ppt @30C (86 F) for another 10 days, I mean the fish seem really happy with this combination. The only less salt-tolerant species (I guess) in this group would be the Oscars but they're even hunting shirmps! If in 10 days these white spots don't go away....I might need some other means to deal with this ich! Probably take the Oscars out, treat them with meds and dose the main tank to 10 ppt (w/o meds Nice Oreochromis niloticus can live in 0-40 ppt)! thx again!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store