Injured goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArsenicRedLace

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Hey everyone,

I had emailed my mom the photos of my goldfish and she tried to do some research as well.

She thinks that it perhaps may be "Cottonmouth"...

has anyone had any experience with this???

do you think it may be this??

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
cotton mouth disease will have a fungus-y growth all around the mouth before the deterioration of the tissues begins. did you notice any white fuzziness around his mouth before the redness and the hole?

here is a good link for cotton mouth disease info: http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

ArsenicRedLace

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
I've been reading a little bit on cotton mouth and i don't think that's it...

I haven't seen any white fuzzy stuff at all.... the ONLY thing that looks affected by this is his upper lip... the rest of his scales look very healthy, he's also the only one in the tank affected by this...

he does seem to be doing much better than yesterday even... he seems to have a bit of an easier time eating today... i did notice flakes still coming through the hole when he ate, but they weren't getting stuck at all... and it was only REALLY tiny flakes that were coming through the hole this time.

where as yesterday, he was trying to eat larger flakes and they would get STUCK in the hole :(

but yeah, he DOES seem to slowly be getting better.... so i'm glad about that.

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Hi there!

Keep doing water changes, as you know, goldfish are considered dirty fish, producing more ammonia than any others. So, if you have the time to do daily 20% water changes, or even 25% every other day, it will really help the fish heal. You can use Melafix and Pimafix, which are mild medicines, but they only really help if the water is kept pristine. Another thing to think about is that goldfish tend to get tumors a lot more than any other fish I have seen, so if it is growing, or looks like cauliflower or anything like that, it could be a tumor. I can't tell from the angle of the picture, sorry. Also, since you said the hole is healing, check your gravel for anything that is shapr that could have injured him. For example, when I set up my 125 and put the gravel in, I noticed broken glass pieces, and has to meticulously go through the gravel the get them out. The previous owner broke his glass pipe, (for wacky tabaccy--I KNOW!!!!), and put the pieces in the water because he thought they looked cool(OMG WHAT AN IDIOT, RIGHT?). o_O I know, I was so angry!! Anyway, look for sharp rocks, sometimes the bases on the plastic plants can break off and get sharp too. I hope he continues to recover quickly, and good luck!

Maribeth

ArsenicRedLace

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Hi everyone,

He seems to be doing MUCH better... the redness is pretty much entirely gone :) He looks a bit tender but not even remotely as bad as he was before... I tried to go through the gravel and look for any sharp pieces but i couldn't find anything. I had bought the gravel new so no risk of broken glass from an idiot with a pipe (I was shocked when i read this... so sorry to hear someone would think this was a good idea... but i'm really glad you found it and got it out of the gravel! that could have been really bad...)

I took out one cave that had a plastic plant attached to it... it didn't seem to be sharp at all, but i thought if he had tried to nibble on the plastic plant it may have still irritated him or poked him, he goes at it hard one day going after a piece of food and maybe just poked himself the wrong way? I decided to play it safe and just remove it from the tank entirely.

When they were fed this morning he was much more active in eating than he had been the past week... before he'd slowly swim and eat the food, where as today he seemed a lot more energetic and really going after the food :)

He still has a visible bump on his nose... it looks a little tender/swollen but SOOO much better than it has... i think he's going to be okay :)

I'll look up some info and pictures of tumors on goldfish but i do keep going back to the thought that it was an injury that got irritated and made worse by an infection etc...

but he seems to be okay!!

I'm very happy :)

Thank you everyone for all your very helpful advise and information :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store