Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Java moss not growing?

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by DarkDH, Aug 29, 2009.

1. DarkDH

DarkDH Famished in the form of Money

Student
    Nov 18, 2009
    I have a small clump of Java moss on a piece of driftwood. The only problem is that after 6 months, I do not see any noticeable change in the amount of Java moss. In fact, every time I do tank maintenance, it seems like I am losing more moss (not counting the little pieces that fly off in a while). My moss is bright and green (with the bright green tips) yet I do not see any growth. I was wondering if it maybe has to do with my tank.

I've heard all the stories about how Java moss can be a prolific grower if unattended, but I have yet to see this.

Tank is 20 gallon long with 2.4 wpg. Dose Flourish Excel, flourish, and trace. Tank has MTS, Crypt Wendii, and Straight Vals.

The Java moss lives, and is healthy. It just doesn't GROW!

2. chonhzilla

chonhzilla AC Members

Apr 5, 2012
    Spread it out thin over a surface and tie it down...thats what I did. I got crazy growth without CO2 or other nutrients.

-Chonh

3. EliWhitney314

EliWhitney314 AC Members

Feb 23, 2010
    What fish do you have, what lighting are you using, do you use yamato green?

4. timwag2001

timwag2001 AC Members

cleaning and repair of carpet, upholstery, drapery
    Feb 18, 2012
    i had some java in a 55g with 2.5wpg, pressurized co2, and ei dosing... no noticeable growth.
    moved it to a 29g with less than 2wpg, excel and a very light dosing regiment and it started to grow a lot

5. Death Pony

Death Pony AC Members

student, artist
    May 2, 2012
    It does best in 2wpg or less. I've noticed that it grows scary fast if spread out like a carpet instead of in a spherical clump.

6. DarkDH

DarkDH Famished in the form of Money

Student
    Nov 18, 2009
    I spread out my moss on my driftwood.

I do flourish excel at least twice a week, and flourish/trace once a week. It could just be my lighting is too much...

7. EliWhitney314

EliWhitney314 AC Members

Feb 23, 2010
    I doubt you are using too much lighting