Jay's Planted 180g Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Why not some really big lava rock for the hardscape on the right? As for plants... I'm new to plants, so I'm no good there.. but rock would definitely give a big pop to this tank, dude!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I replaced my Vals with C. Balanse because I am using a liquid carbon supplement that melts the Vals. I'm happy with the crypts and will probable get more. If your looking to do low maintenance, I'd look to incorporate as many rosette species as I could - blyxa, crypts, echinodorus sp., etc. maybe Bolbitis or hygro pinnatifida. I'd avoid Sag or Vals or E. Tenellus because they send out runners to quickly
I forgot I do have a Bolbitis heudelotii in there but it's not cooperating it's probably getting to much light because it's growing flat on the substrate. I did have C. balanse but it was over 30in and shading everything so I'm trying the C. spiralis. With Blyxa I've always been partial to aubertii I could never keep the japonica done and it frustrated me into submission. I will have to try to get my hands on pinnatifida it's an interesting plant.

Your tank is beautiful, and coming back nicely. I have had problems with hair algae too. It's one of those things if you get it, and let it slide for a little bit, you will have buckets of it. Great tank.
Thank you for sharing my pain =) !

Why not some really big lava rock for the hardscape on the right? As for plants... I'm new to plants, so I'm no good there.. but rock would definitely give a big pop to this tank, dude!
Yes definitely for both sides I'd like to give the petite height towards the back of the tank on the left as well. I've been shopping around for lava rock but I don't want the red which most LPS around me seem to have. I also need to get them in various sizes because this is one rock I don't like when you tank a sledge hammer to them.

I have a few in 45g long but I don't want to use these cause I'd still be short and well I just like the layout in the 45...LOL

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I'm so jealous of your tanks... o-o I would give you hihh gives in person for both of these! Great job :) Well... what about some really dark grey rocks or some really light, sandy colored rocks? Either of those would give you a really earthy tone which seems to be what you really like in both of these tanks. Awesome job again!!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I'm so jealous of your tanks... o-o I would give you hihh gives in person for both of these! Great job :) Well... what about some really dark grey rocks or some really light, sandy colored rocks? Either of those would give you a really earthy tone which seems to be what you really like in both of these tanks. Awesome job again!!
Thank you, those are great ideas. I'll have to expand my search to landscaping places but they are out of season with winter. The big stone places with patio have shorter hours so I can never get to them on time. The large pet chains around here don't carry much of a selection and unfortunately the mom and pop shops are almost extinct or downsized. Online with weight shipping cost just doesn't make since especially need to hand pick my pieces. The sandy/light ones I did find were for reefs and were recommended for freshwater.

I'm still siphoning out the substrate at water changes to get the mineralized soil out at water changes so I still have time to hunt things down.

Thanks again.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I picked up Ludwigia peruensis and Hygrophila pinnatifida at Fish Town we'll see how they I didn't have much luck with this Ludwigia the first. They didn't have the driftwood or stone selection I was hoping for but I got a few dwarf loberster for the 45g so my pockets are a little lighter...LMAO

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Picked up some driftwood yesterday 7.99 per lb adds up quick...LOL The single piece I wanted was over $130 so I went with 3 pieces for 1/2 the price that should look better. Considering LFS inventory is so limited I forced myself to settle. I maybe able to get it into the tank after the water change this weekend.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Ok so I tossed the Ludwigia peruensis (glandulosa) and Hygrophila pinnatifida to the right of the tank since I not at the point where I'm ready to scape. (Water change tomorrow so more siphoning.)

You can see the new growth of the Ludwigia peruensis (glandulosa) I was told this order was from Asia and the growth was all submersed. I'm still suspect, granted I'm not duplicating the original conditions. The new growth seems drastically different to me and I don't know if it's a good or bad sign that the new growth stem is green but the leaves are red. Is that a sign of a deficiency of some kind? Or submersed vs. emersed?

Time to move the Alternanthera reieckii it is doing better in the tank than I thought. I was always told it is an easy plant to keep but I never could before at the old house.

I hope to get the new driftwood pieces in here after the water change tomorrow see if it has the impact I hope. I need to thin out the Anubias nana there in the center but the heavy wood hood on this tank makes it difficult to do anything unless I have a buddy over.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I say leave it untrimmed :p It looks awesome that way xD
Thank. If I can some how blend it into the scape I would definitely consider leaving it in there but part of the problem is I need to remove all the leaves with the worst algae. I do have a lot of new growth but those algae areas are driving me nuts and since I've had this in the original scape for a couple of years it maybe time for a change.

looking forward to seeing it with the new driftwood in it.
I was a little impatient siphoning the substrate to rid it of the mineralized soil and now have a muddy mess that's going to take a couple of days to clear. At least I can see into the tank now... LOL The corner the driftwood is going to is still a mess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store