Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Largemouth Bass...can?t unhook!

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Master Zero, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Master Zero

Master Zero AC Members

Largemouth Bass...can’t unhook!

Good afternoon all;

I went fishing today and caught my first Largemouth Bass (it’s been my dream since day one). The thing is, I recently discovered that this fish has a fishing line coming out of its mouth. This can only mean that their might be a hook attached at the end of it. I try to gently pull on it, but it wasn’t coming out, and it seems to bother the Bass.

At one point I got to seem inside its mouth while it was doing some deep breathing in the corner of the tank. I think I might have seen what looked like a hook, but I am not sure.

Any advice on what I should do? Do you think he can live like this, or is his time limited if not removed?

[​IMG]

2. unbeatablec

unbeatablec Lives in Michigan

student
    Try those fish hook removal rods, that you put in there mouth and twist

3. Master Zero

Master Zero AC Members

The thing is I don’t really know how deep down its throat the hook is. I think this might be one risky operation if attempted by me. Do you think a vet can do such a job?

4. akryden

akryden AC Members

this may sound bad but the hook will eventualy rust and fall out then will be passed. if it bothers him its probably the line so maby instead of risking more damage you cut the line as far back as you can then keep an eye on it. it realy should only take at most a month i would assume, hooks seem to rust pretty fast. good luck in whatever you do hope it turns out for the best.

also by the red eyes, light green and the vertical stripes i think that is a smallmouth bass. only because i do a lot of largemouth fishing.

5. southpaw

southpaw Lefty

Just leave it where it is...you will do more harm trying to get it out...The acid in the fishes throat will eat the hook up.

Did you bring it home and put it in your tank ? :(

6. unbeatablec

unbeatablec Lives in Michigan

student
    your best bet would be to yank out the hook and eat it ;)

7. southpaw

southpaw Lefty

:lol:

8. will74

will74 AC Members

largemouth bass

I may be wrong but I am almost 100% positive that your fish is a smallmouth bass. As for the hook, don't bother taking it out, it will come out in a couple of days. Sounds to me by the way you described that it swallowed the hook, The angler who caught the fish did the right thing by cutting the line because if the hook were removed it would be fatal to the fish. The fishes' digestive juices will eat through the hook and it will be just like new. You could cut the line with fingernail clippers as close the hook as you can and it will alleviate most discomfort. I hope i helped, good luck!

9. Master Zero

Master Zero AC Members

Yes you guys did help me a lot, but also destroyed my dreams of catching the big one in the process... :( I guess its back to the lakes for me… :) And yes I took it home with me. I’ll cut the line as far back as I can.

Thanks again!

10. Plecosterone

Plecosterone We don't need no stinking badges!

Carpenter, Contractor
    Looks like a smallmouth to me too. In largemouth the mouth goes further back under the eyes.

11. ct-death

ct-death Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...

Federal Ranger
    DO you plan on starting a tank of Bass!?! They require a LOT of space and are ultra-Aggressive! Not to mention the other issues

12. mademperor

mademperor Go Go Rock Bass!

Good luck with your bass! I feed mine Rossy reds and Krill and he is doing great =D

Trying to get him to try dry food still lol.

[​IMG]

#12 mademperor, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  13. skillful abbot

skillful abbot AC Members

Beautiful bass... but I usually throw them back . . . especially if they are under 30cm...

14. mcox3

mcox3 Veritas Aequitas

I've always wanted a native species tank...

sunfish, channel cats and sm bass...

15. James0816

James0816 AC Members

yeppers...as mentioned above...the hook (unless it is a lure) will eventually rot out and disovle. the actual hook will disolve and maybe it will spit out the rest of the lure. just open its mouth and cut the line as far down as you can. it will be fine. just don't go in and tugging around it.

16. rwilliams254

rwilliams254 AC Members

Quality Assurance
    Question: do you have any other fish in the tank?

BTW: I'm in the camp of eating it. :)

17. jtburf

jtburf I want to hunt these.

HOW DID YOU GET IT HOME????

18. Master Zero

Master Zero AC Members

He was in there with three other Sunfish (two of which are babies and one 4-5 inch green sunfish), one Pacu, a Tiger Oscar, an Angel fish, and a Sliver Arowana. They are in a 125 gallon tank, but will soon be upgraded to 300 gallon. Sadly, the Bass did not survive the night… :(

I am not really going for a Bass tank, but I always wanted to have one. I want a rare fish that can’t be brought, and I will try once more on Tuesday. This time a lot of time will be spent on the acclamation process...I am so depress...

Oh, and I got him home in a mini Rubbermaid (not a cooler, but could be used) look a like. Equivalent to a 15+ gallon tank...

Your tank and Bass looks beautiful Mademperor. I wished my Bass had survived. If only...

19. southpaw

southpaw Lefty

If only you had put him back after you caught it then it probably would have survived

20. rwilliams254

rwilliams254 AC Members

Quality Assurance

Hope you didn't eat him then.

IF you decide to catch one from the wild and bring him home...put him in QT for a couple of weeks. Don't mix him with your other fish. You're lucky you didn't loose all your fish...due to an infection, parasite, etc...