Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to AquariaCentral don't forget to setup your avatar! --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Largemouth Bass...can?t unhook!

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Master Zero, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Master Zero

Master Zero AC Members

May 14, 2010
    Largemouth Bass...can’t unhook!

Good afternoon all;

I went fishing today and caught my first Largemouth Bass (it’s been my dream since day one). The thing is, I recently discovered that this fish has a fishing line coming out of its mouth. This can only mean that their might be a hook attached at the end of it. I try to gently pull on it, but it wasn’t coming out, and it seems to bother the Bass.

At one point I got to seem inside its mouth while it was doing some deep breathing in the corner of the tank. I think I might have seen what looked like a hook, but I am not sure.

Any advice on what I should do? Do you think he can live like this, or is his time limited if not removed?

[​IMG]

2. unbeatablec

unbeatablec Lives in Michigan

student
    Jan 8, 2009
    Try those fish hook removal rods, that you put in there mouth and twist

3. Master Zero

Master Zero AC Members

May 14, 2010
    The thing is I don’t really know how deep down its throat the hook is. I think this might be one risky operation if attempted by me. Do you think a vet can do such a job?

4. akryden

akryden AC Members

Nov 28, 2007
    this may sound bad but the hook will eventualy rust and fall out then will be passed. if it bothers him its probably the line so maby instead of risking more damage you cut the line as far back as you can then keep an eye on it. it realy should only take at most a month i would assume, hooks seem to rust pretty fast. good luck in whatever you do hope it turns out for the best.

also by the red eyes, light green and the vertical stripes i think that is a smallmouth bass. only because i do a lot of largemouth fishing.

5. southpaw

southpaw Lefty

Oct 26, 2008
    Just leave it where it is...you will do more harm trying to get it out...The acid in the fishes throat will eat the hook up.

Did you bring it home and put it in your tank ? :(

6. unbeatablec

unbeatablec Lives in Michigan

student
    Jan 8, 2009
    your best bet would be to yank out the hook and eat it ;)

7. southpaw

southpaw Lefty

Oct 26, 2008
    :lol:

8. will74

will74 AC Members

Mar 2, 2009
    largemouth bass

I may be wrong but I am almost 100% positive that your fish is a smallmouth bass. As for the hook, don't bother taking it out, it will come out in a couple of days. Sounds to me by the way you described that it swallowed the hook, The angler who caught the fish did the right thing by cutting the line because if the hook were removed it would be fatal to the fish. The fishes' digestive juices will eat through the hook and it will be just like new. You could cut the line with fingernail clippers as close the hook as you can and it will alleviate most discomfort. I hope i helped, good luck!

9. Master Zero

Master Zero AC Members

May 14, 2010
    Yes you guys did help me a lot, but also destroyed my dreams of catching the big one in the process... :( I guess its back to the lakes for me… :) And yes I took it home with me. I’ll cut the line as far back as I can.

Thanks again!

10. Plecosterone

Plecosterone We don't need no stinking badges!

Carpenter, Contractor
    Aug 28, 2011
    Looks like a smallmouth to me too. In largemouth the mouth goes further back under the eyes.