Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Largemouth Bass

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by xpmr5, May 2, 2007.

1. xpmr5

xpmr5 AC Members

Is a 11" Largemouth Bass compatible with a 9" Gar and a 7" Archer Fish?

2. chris331

chris331 AC Members

i'm just guessing, but i'd say the bass would kick some arse!! lol... i had a friend keep a small bass in a tank and after it ate all his fish he would feed it feeder guppies and stuff... it was kinda cool.

3. Tmobo

Tmobo AC Members

Plant Operator/Forklift Operator
    Idk but I like both of your avatars. Really nice looking:clap:

4. Fish Obsession

Fish Obsession AC Members

Do you want to put it in your 55? If so... I wouldn't even think about if it's compatible or not.. it simply cannot go in a 55... or are you investing in a larger tank for your already verrrry big fish?

5. jm1212

jm1212 Pterophyllum scalare

all of that in a 55? the gar itself is going to need a much bigger tank.

archerfish are brakcish and should be kept in brackish water made with marine salts, and it is going to eventially get picked off by the gar.

largemouth bass are not exactly tropical fish. they like their water cooler than tropicals.

6. Ruben Tolon

Ruben Tolon last of a dying breed

retail/college student
    That bass should be able to gulp down that archer, but as someone said previously, they are incompatible. Not only due to salinity requirements for the archer, but the archer is a tropical species and the bass is not

7. xpmr5

xpmr5 AC Members

Thanks. Released the bass yesterday. It's a South American Needlefish (brackish fish), not a gar and should only get up to 13"

8. Daudzegier

Daudzegier Tropical Aquascaper

Portriat Photographer
    the bass should be in a tank no smaller than 250 gallons.

9. Fish Obsession

Fish Obsession AC Members

13 inch fish is still really big for a 55.

10. ct-death

ct-death Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...

Federal Ranger
    PLease do NOT capture, introduce a fish to an aquarium and then release it into the WILD carrying God knows what back into a unssupecting ecosystem!!!:mad2:

Euthanize it, eat it, I don't care, or better yet do not capture wild animals as it is illegal for a reason...

11. ckrause

ckrause AC Members

computer technician
    Bass don't make good pets, but filleted, sprinkled with lemon pepper with stewed tomatoes on top of rice...now your talking :)

12. galen

galen AC Members

LOL! i wholeheartedley agree!

13. xpmr5

xpmr5 AC Members

It was in the tank only for about a half an hour. I don't think that's a big deal, and I already released it so I really can't do anything about it.

14. syddakyd

syddakyd AC Members

No experience with bass but sunfish are awesome and stay a manageable size. they are pretty much cold water cichlids in term of temperment, care, and evolution

15. FishyMatty

FishyMatty FishKiller

Truck driver (owner operator)
    its not illegal to go fishing, there is nothing that says you can't keep the fish you catch alive. I'm know there is a law about releasing animals into the wild but not ones from the same area.

16. AlaskaMatt

AlaskaMatt AC Members

Check out NANFA. Some states wont allow you to keep wild caught fish in the aquariam. http://www.nanfa.org/

17. xpmr5

xpmr5 AC Members

Yea, but there's a good bet bet no one from DNR is going to come in my backyard and ask if I have caught any fish in my 30 foot wide creek in Illinois, let alone ask to see my aquarium! The chances are slim to none, and I'm willing to take the chance over buying $8 cichlids when bluegills, in my opinion, are much cooler and they're free!

18. hatcheridiot

hatcheridiot Call me crazy...Crazy

Fish wrangler...so to speak
    I completely agree xpmr5. Going out and catching your fish is sooo rewarding and cheap too. Most people can better take care of local fish as well. It's easier to determine what to feed them (and food is readily available) and they're temp/water requirements are generally easier to replicate. However, I agree with some above when they warn about disease transmission. You simply cannot let another one return to the stream.

On a side note....try going out and catching a fry or two out of the shallows. Its the perfect time of year and you can watch em grow up from babies! It's a blast.

19. Star_Rider

Star_Rider AC Moderators
    Staff Member

PC/network tech
    '

make sure you check the state regulations regarding this..keep in mind that gamefish may fall under the rule of the state fish and wildlife or other branch of law enforcement.

DNR (dept of natural resources) may not be the governing body for a 'game fish'

some places bass are not considered game fish and fall under even more different rules.
    check your regulations..as the penalites for violating these rules can be extremely costly..

In washington any and all property associated with the violations are subject to 'evidence' rules..meaning that it could be taken as evidence.

20. ct-death

ct-death Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...

Federal Ranger
    Sorry for the partial flame, but are you guys SERIOUS!?!?!

If you don't see the harm in releasing fish from an aquarium or into a foreign body of water to that fish there really isn't anything I can say. I know I could try... :(

Just please don't release caught fish, just euthanize it in the future (they're good eats anyways!) or better yet know what you are doing and what the species requirements are before ketching them - It's only ethical as hobbiest.

I'll let you deal with the law on your own. I hope you don't get caught TBH, but if you release them I sure would.

Released species make up a huge portion of my budget, and I'm loosing...And no, not all species are foriegn or exotic that are my list (feral cats are #3, cultivated plants #4, released birds #5, Wild dogs #9, hybridized Turkeys, etc.)

FYI - 50% of the Endangered Species in the United States are a result of INTRODUCED (innocently released) species!