Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

leapard gecko care?

Discussion in 'Terrariums, Paludariums and Vivariums' started by homedog98, Jan 2, 2012.

1. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

hey, i've been toying with the idea of finding something scaley to put in my empty ten gallon, and after some looking, am thinking a single leapard gecko would be a good fit. i've read that a ten gallon for one is fine, if i take advantage of vertical space, but i'm still a little bit confused on feeding, lighting, and substrate.
    1. what do i need for lighting?
    2. can i use sand, or will i need to find something else?
    3. what do i need to be feeding and how often?
    i know mealworms are a must, but i'm confused about wether crickets or anything else is going to be needed.
    4. how do i prepare food like mealworms and crickets?
    5. if i am to feed crickets... what should i keep the crickets in?
    6. this is sort of a silly question... but is it safe for me to hold it every once in a while, or will i injure it?
    sorry for all the questions... never dealt with reptiles before.
    thanks in advance!
    :)

2. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

high school/ going to be a vet or zoologist
    you'll also need to keep a bowl of just calcium in there enclosure

3. allaboutfish

allaboutfish AC Members

high school/ going to be a vet or zoologist
  4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Metaframe junky

Student
    allaboutfish most things but i figure i should add my 2 cents as i would do things a little different

one other things as fish said keep calcium in the tank at all times but make sure it is calcium without D3

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Metaframe junky

Student
    o and be warned thay live for 20 plus years so if you want a sligly older gecko just let me know i have a few rescues that could use a good home, you would just have to pay shipping :D

6. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

wow thanks! :) ok, so that answered a lot of my questions! i do have one more on feeding though... how often should i feed in general? like, every day, once every other day, once a week, that sort of thing. thanks for the offer! i have to get my parents to ok it first, but i'd love to when the time comes! oh yeah, and another substrate question... would pea gravel be ok? like fish substrate grain... thanks for the links AAF! i'll look into them.

7. Vicious_Fish

Vicious_Fish Moderator
    Staff Member

Cosmonaut
    Feeding will depend on how old the gecko is you are buying. You can feed babies every day, juveniles every other day and adults twice a week.

No, gravel is NOT ok to use as a substrate. A gecko can accidentally ingest gravel while feeding and that can cause an impaction which usually equals death to the gecko. Since this is your first gecko I would recommend sticking with slate or ceramic tiles.

8. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

also, one more question... can i use the can o crickets or would i be better off using live? i'm guessing freezedried would have the same bloating effect like it does on fish, but i'm not sure. i personally am fine with the live... but it's what my mom is fine with lol.

9. homedog98

homedog98 AC Members

yikes... no gravel for me then. :) glad i asked.

10. Vicious_Fish

Vicious_Fish Moderator
    Staff Member

Cosmonaut
    No, you can not use those "Can O Crickets". Those are junk and I don't even know why they honestly sell them other than to confuse new herp owners. Geckos need live prey. They will starve to death before they will eat dead crickets out of a dish. If you find that feeding live insects is a problem then check out Crested Geckos. They can live on a prepared diet and lots of people don't feed them live food at all.