Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

lighting for a 36" aquarium

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by gmh, Jun 27, 2007.

1. gmh

gmh AC Members

semi-retired
    I have a 40G aquarium that measures 36" long by 15" wide. I'm looking for an inexpensive hood/light system for it and notice that there does'nt seem to be much selection out there for this size tank.
    I'm setting up the tank as a S. American biotype and only need enough lighting to support low light plants such as java fern.
    I've seen Progresso hoods for around 35 bucks but it appears they only have one 24" bulb. Probably not enough to support even low light plants. Any suggestions?

2. Marinemom

Marinemom AC Members

You could do a glass top with some t-5 lighting or even some small compact florescent lighting. I have two CF light fixtures on top of my smallish 16 gallon that is actually made for a ten gallon tank.

Marinemom

3. gmh

gmh AC Members

semi-retired
    I'm not sure what you mean by going with T5 lighting. Is this a DYI deal where I go to Home Improvement Center and find a 36 inch T5 flourescent fixture and just lie it over the glass cover?

4. Marinemom

Marinemom AC Members

They have t-5 lighting fixtures that are made for aquariums. They are usually sold at aquarium shops. I lay mine on top of the glass tops but you can buy legs for them that will lift them slightly off off the glass top. A lot of people use them for planted tanks. I have them on four of my planted aquariums. They do not run hot like some other lighting can so that is a plus too.

Marinemom

5. 12 Volt Man

12 Volt Man AC Members

Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
    I like the coralife freshwater aqualight strip lights.

they are T-5s and inexpensive for what you get. Also very bright.

they come with 2 bulbs already.

6. Marinemom

Marinemom AC Members

That is what I have and they are quite bright which is great for a planted aquarium.

Marinemom

7. FishyMatty

FishyMatty FishKiller

Truck driver (owner operator)
    How much do you want to pay?
    I have a 192watt compact florecent fixture 36" for $75

8. gmh

gmh AC Members

semi-retired
    $75 is a great price for that much wattage. What brand is that? But I am looking for a more modest output. I found a 36" Aqualight fixture with two 21 watt T5 bulbs for 50 bucks. Sounds lilke it might serve my low light needs.

9. FishyMatty

FishyMatty FishKiller

Truck driver (owner operator)
    Its an Odyessa. I have two fixtures by them and they have not failed me yet.