Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Live stock

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by whaddisfish, Dec 25, 2011.

1. RisiganL.

RisiganL. AC Members

school
    My tank is roughly has a pH of around 6.5. My cherry shrimp do fine and breed like crazy! I have noticed that my Boraras try to eat the shrimplets very often. They will pick them off the glass but even the smallest of shrimp are too large for my tiny fish. I think you may loose a very small number of the newborns to the Boraras, but it make no difference once the shrimp start breeding.

2. whaddisfish

whaddisfish AC Members

its okay, i dont plan to heavily populate my shrimps anyways. I would prefer a small gradual increase instead so i dont mind abit of snacking on the shrimplets (y). And do u think the CRS will thrive in the tank conditions and with those fish (ottos,cardinals,boraras brigittae)?

3. kyhokie

kyhokie AC Members

I bet your favorite website is overstock.com. Hey-oh!

4. whaddisfish

whaddisfish AC Members

kyhokie- hahahahahahahaha no.
    u just dont understand that this isnt overstocking if u put more care into it and it will work out fine.

5. RisiganL.

RisiganL. AC Members

school
    Why don't you try aqadvisor.com. It is an online tank stocking calculator and I have found it to be pretty darn accurate.

6. iheartbettas

iheartbettas AC Members

the second stock list is better, just remove the otos since they really enjoy larger groups. I have 4 in my 29 and they always seem to be hanging out or in the same general area. having 2 isn't a large enough group IMO

7. whaddisfish

whaddisfish AC Members

but then i wont hav any fish cleaning the plants if i take out the ottos.

8. Fozzybear

Fozzybear wocka wocka wocka!

Commercial Fisherman, Dog Trainer
    "I like to ask questions of a group of people and then argue with them all over the answers" says this guy...online fish forums LOVE to point out overstocking...yes 1 inch per gallon is bogus...and yes i've got a very happy/healthy/successful 50 that has about 75 inches worth of fish in it...but it has a large footprint per gallon, tons of plants, tons of filtration and well divided fish...that being said...lol...that does sound busy. what about a large school with a couple bigger centerpiece fish? something flashy and expressive...i've always gotten irritated at my tanks that have more than one species of shoaler, i'm much happier with something like a ram, apistogramma, gourami...etc than another smaller school.

9. whaddisfish

whaddisfish AC Members

i also agree with u fozzzybear but wont bigger center piece fish eat the CRS and RCS?

10. Fozzybear

Fozzybear wocka wocka wocka!

Commercial Fisherman, Dog Trainer
    bah...indeed, this may be a risk...most of my "character" fish are prolific eaters...apistogrammas? they tend to be mild