loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishywishywowoo

Registered Member
Feb 8, 2014
Hi. I have 2 chinese hillstream loaches and 7 whits cloud mountain minnows. The minnows keep eating all the food for the loaches. I give them their flakes first on one side of tank and give the loaches their their sinking food on other side but the minnows see it on way down an eat them so obv don't wanna overfeed the minnow eithrr. I only feed when the loaches both out of hiding. Any other ideas to help them get some food?

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
long solid colored tube.drop the sinking food into the tube. the minnows can not see through the tube and hopefully the loaches will find it.feed the minnows slowly and keep their attention while doing this.if you use the tube in the same place every time they may associate it with food.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Feed at night, loaches can find food in the dark.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I feed my hillies Repashy Gel food after flakes, but the whiteclouds, especially the BIG female, hover over the Repashy waiting for the loaches to kick bits of it up. My sewellia & gastromyzons don't seem to be nocturnal or even crepuscular, so night feeding won't work. What are your "Chinese" hillstreams? Beaufortia? Seems like they'd be similar to mine...What size is your tank?

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
I have never kept hillstreams (but I am working on that) or white clouds, but it would seem that blanched cucumbers would be a turn off for the minnows, and most loaches love them. Just my ignorant 2 cents on the subject.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
In addition to earlier suggestions, it would be best if you can get algae on the rock surfaces. A natural algae and aufwuchs feeder, these loaches will accept algae-type sinking foods, artemia (brine shrimp), frozen bloodworms, and natural algae should be encouraged to grow on rocks and pebbles. Blanched spinach and similar greens may be offered. For long-term health, algae must be allowed to grow in the aquarium. One way to encourage this is to place a rock or two in another small tank, bowl or container (preferably glass to allow light in) of tank water and place this in strong light such as sunlight through a south window, outside in summer, or under some artificial light. When the rock is covered with algae, place it in the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store