magnets in freshwater tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i'm curious as to why you would want to do so, but i would not expect Nd ferrite magnets a problem for anything in fresh water. obviously, you don't want to put in anything small enough to be swallowed -- that could be bad, since they certainly are not digestible.

magnets (like refrigerator magnets) which are made of ferrite dust bound with plastic should be pretty darned inert.

high strength ceramic Nd ferrite magnets come either plain, or metal plated. the plain (usually brown) ceramic ones are normally only used for industrial applications. they shouldn't be a problem unless you have something that is VERY sensitive to iron (can't think of anything at the moment).

the "super powerful tiny button" magnets you usually see advertised have been plated with something to give them a smooth and inert surface. you need to find out what they plated it with to know whether it will be a problem. i would not expect them to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store