Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Metaframe Fish Tanks

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Bonniegiff, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Bonniegiff

Bonniegiff AC Members

Retired
    Does anyone know where I can get information on Metaframe fish tanks. Possibly the history of the tanks. I bought 12 tanks and many hoods. All are Stainless steel with slate bottoms. Now I have a chance to buy a black Metaframe tank with a glass bottom, but I don't know if it is really a metaframe tank. It has a sticker on it saying Metaframe. The only information I have is on the box with the lights. It says 1964 Metraframe corporation Maywood New Jersy.

2. napsterninja

napsterninja AC Members

Maybe the previous owner painted that one. I have some too, and not all are made by metaframe. I have Pemco and others which has no brand on it. All of are of various sizes too. As for the one with the sticker, does it really matter if its a true "metaframe" tank? As long as the tank frame is metal, right? Can you post a picture of the tank? As for info, your best bet is to google metaframe and pemco. Not much but there is a little. Good luck!

3. Bonniegiff

Bonniegiff AC Members

Retired
    I can't post a picture because I don't own it yet I was thinking of buying it.

4. dbosman

dbosman AC Members

Google metaframe aquarium histroy and have at the links.
    The sealing material is asphaltum.

5. 150EH

150EH Registered Member

I'm going to Baltimore tomorrow to pick up a 10 gallon, but there's no hood, light, etc. So if you ever have extras you want to sell, I'm your guy.

I'm also looking for some history, that's how I ended up here!

6. geopa

geopa AC Members

Back in the 1960's Metaframe was a big name in aquariums, even published a magazine "The Aquarium" that was the magazine to have at that time, originally published by Dr William T Innes who was the aquarium expert for many years. I still have a 1 gallon Metaframe tank in storage but I dont think it has a slate bottom like many of them in the 60's
    Attractive tanks but they did have a tendency to leak around the glass/metal juncture/

7. petluvr

petluvr AC Members

mgr of local pizza hut
    I love the metaframe tanks, I have a 29 with a slate bottom but I use it for rats. Good luck with your search.